The Ref Stop

EFL incidents 10/08/2024

CaptainsPlease

Level 5 and
Level 3W Referee
Incident 1 (3:46) - Leeds v Portsmouth - penalty awarded with holding on defender

Incident 2 (0:34) - Millwall v Watford - penalty not awarded, unsure if trying to play advantage and it simply goes on too long, but also I think there is simulation here!

Incident 3 (0:58) - Chesterfield v Swindon - penalty claim for Chesterfield not awarded

The Ref Stop
Definitely think the second one is playing advantage. Hits the post and blocked on the line on the follow up. Looks nailed on to score the first effort too - absolutely no way to come back to a penalty there and not have it blow up in your face.

For me all three are not penalties. My initial thought on the last was that the attacker was airborne and not upright before the collision.

No PK
No PK
PK
IMHO
Full agreement here.

PK1 both players are holding. This is one you have to be aware of when attackers are also holding, it's a crafty way to give the appearance of being held and movement impacted when in reality if they just let go they get away, or win a pen fairly. Motivation of the attacker here is to win a penalty.

PK2 Soft. Minimal contact. Doesn't meet threshold of contact for me

PK3 careless challenge by red defender.

Full agreement here.

PK1 both players are holding. This is one you have to be aware of when attackers are also holding, it's a crafty way to give the appearance of being held and movement impacted when in reality if they just let go they get away, or win a pen fairly. Motivation of the attacker here is to win a penalty.

PK2 Soft. Minimal contact. Doesn't meet threshold of contact for me

PK3 careless challenge by red defender.
My opinion too, although what I will say for PK1 is that the thing that costs the defender IMO is the location of his holding compared to the attackers holding. Arm across the upper chest / neck is always more likely to be penalised.

My opinion too, although what I will say for PK1 is that the thing that costs the defender IMO is the location of his holding compared to the attackers holding. Arm across the upper chest / neck is always more likely to be penalised.
Exactly the trick. Attacker pulls defender. Natural instinct of defender is to grab the nearest thing to him, which also happens to be the person pulling him, attacker goes over, hey presto, the illusion the attacker wants to create to win the penalty.

Was at the Leeds game and saw this live. The time elapsed between the fall by the attacker until the referee raised his whistle to his mouth seemed a lot longer in real time. I also didn't think it was a penalty as both were holding.

Final point, I don't know the name of the Portsmouth player involved in the incident but I saw many similarities between him physically (and his style of play) and that of an early Emile Heskey who I saw more than 20 years ago playing for Leicester. Could have a long and successful career in front of him.

Back