A&H

Ecuador v England

The Referee Store
Both Red Cards? What do we think?
Certainly not a red for Sterling. Okay it was a bad challenge but in my opinion, not excessive force. A yellow for reckless play sufficient there. Certainly a red for Valencia though. Violent conduct all day long.

Valencia - see you later - violent conduct.

Sterling - yellow - reckless.

What baffled me was the assistant 1 yd away flagged for a throw!

In a competitive match he could have got away with red, but given the way he was reffing the rest of the match no way. I am certain that if Valencia had reacted there is no way he would have been carded at all.

Valencia had to be sent off - VC has to be punished regardless of circumstances.

I actually agree with the referee, yes there's no excessive force but I think "A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play" covers that. I've seen nasty injuries from tackles like that

It's the "endangers the safety of an opponent" that would make me give me a red card, whether it looks a lot worse with the angles I've seen but I think it's a red.

Agree with Aled, red card for both. Sterling is a classic case of endangering the safety of the opponent.

I saw it live and straight away thought that there was a red card coming out of the tackle

When you look at this photo it makes the challenge look very bad!

Attachments

• 10372286_672406422814474_8177656524068302376_n.jpg
    10372286_672406422814474_8177656524068302376_n.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 20
Referee had to do something and he did; 2 off, nobody really complaining, case closed. it doesn't really matter anyway, aside from to England who should be a little dismayed by the overall team performance rather than irritated by the Sending off. The sending off helpfully for Roy distracting from England's lack of solidity in midfield and a wet toilet roll defence.

Underwhelming.

Despite myself, I was in agreement with the commentators. Had Valencia just got up and wagged the finger, then all carries on. Once he started though they did both have to go, otherwise Sterling would have been targeted for the rest of the game and a reserve player called up to the squad. Somebody would have smashed him.

As a point of reference, the reaction to the challenge tells you that it was not a clever one. A reaction like that at our level is a good indication that there is reason to consider red. A "regular" foul will not attract such an aggressive reaction, more likely a whinge along the lines "How many more"

I reckon it was a definite red for Sterling - it was a lunge over the ball with studs up, and it was also excessive imo.

I'm also of the opinion that a red card for Sterling is supportable, especially considering the lunging nature and height of the challenge endangering safety (above the ankle) - and also considering the reaction it brought out of Valencia.

I'm in agreement with Supermonkey's last post: 2 off, no complaints given the way the situation panned out . The situation reminded me of a similar incident where Djibril Cisse was sent off for reacting to a challenge by Roger Johnson in the Premier League a couple of seasons ago. I suppose the referee's thought process should be along the lines of "Why has a the player reacted like that" "Does the initial challenge justify that kind of response" and most importantly "how do I sanction each player"

I suppose the referee had the knowledge that the challenge may have been considered as SFP in a non-friendly, and the reaction is clearly VC, so 2 red cards on balance seems about right. Having said that, I do also believe that if Valencia hadn't reacted, the referee would have ultimately responded differently to the situation.

Supermonkey is spot on. Referee had to do something and he did; 2 off, nobody really complaining, case closed. No referee wants to dismiss a player in a friendly game, I thought he dealt with it well, if no VC reaction then it would have been dealt with a lot differently, but there was, 10 minutes left, two silly players put themselves in the position where the referee had to deal with them and he did. The reaction from Sterling, i.e. no reaction spoke a thousands words in that he knew what he did and / or was trying to do.

In terms of the Sterling 'challenge' it was in my opinion and this opinion has divided people, was excessive in the circumstances, he was going for the ball but was trying to let his opponent know about it took and slightly overstepped the mark... maybe is was a Liverpool - Man Utd tackle... luckily Valencia was nimble footed and managed to ride most of it.

I don't agree with what some seem to be saying, in that it was ultimately Valencia's reaction that got Sterling sent off. Surely a player losing his head doesn't mean the player who fouled him needs to be sent off? For example, someone tackles joey Barton carelessly (no need for a card) but Barton turns round and nuts him, the player who tackled Barton still shouldn't be punished.

I don't agree with what some seem to be saying, in that it was ultimately Valencia's reaction that got Sterling sent off. Surely a player losing his head doesn't mean the player who fouled him needs to be sent off? For example, someone tackles joey Barton carelessly (no need for a card) but Barton turns round and nuts him, the player who tackled Barton still shouldn't be punished.

True, but in this case the original foul was arguably a red anyway

Another one where different refs would've made a different decision. For me it was a yellow card for Sterling but Valencia is sent for a early shower as he was by the ref

At that level, it was always going to be a red for Sterling.

Off the ground at the time of contact and above the ball.

While at our level of football probably a yellow, but if the referee doesn't do what FIFA want then his international career is over.

Back