A&H

ECL Final

deusex

RefChat Addict
Not an ideal start with the offside goal. Although I'm not implying a conspiracy, Barcelona and Madrid have been getting these lucky 50/50 decions/non decisions for years. Though my view may be biased as I hate both clubs

The Referee Store
MC seems to have left the yellow in the changing room.
3 cautonable challenges let go for me and that challenge on ronaldo around 66 mins was could have even been red

Not an ideal start with the offside goal. Although I'm not implying a conspiracy, Barcelona and Madrid have been getting these lucky 50/50 decions/non decisions for years. Though my view may be biased as I hate both clubs
I wouldn't call this a 50-50 decision. I'm surprised the AR got this one wrong - all players were moving at roughly the same pace and relation...

That dive was utterly disgusting. Very disappointed he wasn't cautioned for it. He just cheated to try and get an opponent sent off - why do referees condone this behaviour?

But while we have this culture that referees are there to appease the players and fans rather than do their job, it's never going to change. While we have this culture that a card here would have 'ruined the game' and somehow ignoring the fact that it's the player's actions that have required the card, it's never going to change.

I thought he handled the Pepe situations very well.

He could have cautioned, but would have been absolutely slammed if he sends him off for that.

His alternative reactions of making it clear just how ridiculous his behaviour was, and really drew more attention to him as an absolute clown showed he can handle these incidents in the biggest games well and professionally.

I personally think that appointment was a test for him, and if he has a good tournament at the Euros and none of the home nations get far enough has a chance of a semi or maybe even final.

He could have cautioned, but would have been absolutely slammed if he sends him off for that.

I agree with you....but it definitely shouldn't be that way. For oh so many reasons. Unfortunately that's why he did it twice in this game and he'll keep doing it. Because referees are too afraid to take the necessary action, because the culture of the game doesn't support that, so the referees perpetuate that poisonous culture, and the cycle repeats.

I mean, this player cheated twice to get opponents sent off, he's everything that people hate about the game, he's completely bringing the sport into disrepute and is engaging in activities that FIFA and football associations love to pay lip service to 'cutting down on'.....and yet we still make excuses for him to be on the park, so 'people don't talk about the referee'. This sport is absurd!

It's that very culture which makes it all about the referee - the excuses achieve the exact opposite of what they're trying to do!

Unfortunately, I think not getting the cards out for Pepe's simulation(s) is the one major blip in an otherwise almost flawless display from Clattenburg last night (given that the offside goal was entirely in the assistant's hands). Despite what Deusex suggests above, I think his judgement of what is/isn't a caution was spot on and his positioning, fitness and movement should be shown at all future training courses as a masterclass in how a referee should move around a football pitch.

I just think it's a real shame that he didn't send Pepe. Don't forget that Pepe's aim was to try and get two Atletico players sent off for VC. It's that simple - he was acting and cheating to try and trick the referee into incorrectly reducing his opponents to 9 men. If that's not cheating worthy of a yellow card at the very least, I don't know what is.

And Clattenburg was right on top of both incidents, he didn't fall for either one and knew exactly what was going on - but he failed to apply the appropriate sanction. That's not a mistake, or a case of him not seeing what happened, that's a concious decision. And in an otherwise excellent refereeing display, that's so disappointing to see.

Unfortunately, I think not getting the cards out for Pepe's simulation(s) is the one major blip in an otherwise almost flawless display from Clattenburg last night (given that the offside goal was entirely in the assistant's hands). Despite what Deusex suggests above, I think his judgement of what is/isn't a caution was spot on and his positioning, fitness and movement should be shown at all future training courses as a masterclass in how a referee should move around a football pitch.

I'd call it a below average performance with 4 clear cautions not sanctioned, you call it near flawless.
Well that's opinions for you.
A caution for dissent in an ECL final though?? Making it all about him ;)

I thought the game was disappointing.
Ronaldo was disappointing (not unlike the real Ronaldo world cup final).
Real won thanks to an offside goal that goes down as a mistake by the AR.
MC shirked 2 very clear yellows and arguably 2 more. At one point in the second half I thought he might have lost it (must be intense to have so many massive games.) He was still incredible, and obviously was in control.

Overall it was not satisfying viewing as some kind of neutral.

Clattenburg's positioning is immense. He always manages to be close to the action. As the Pepe situation shows, when is is right there on top of him

I thought he handled the Pepe situations very well.

His alternative reactions of making it clear just how ridiculous his behaviour was, and really drew more attention to him as an absolute clown showed he can handle these incidents in the biggest games well and professionally.

I personally think that appointment was a test for him, and if he has a good tournament at the Euros and none of the home nations get far enough has a chance of a semi or maybe even final.

For the first Pepe offence, absolutely - give him every chance and ensure every person in the world knows he has clocked his actions and won't tolerate it.

The second offence, well, as absolutely brilliant as Mr Clattenburg was for every other minute of the match - 7.9.

Then I guess his children will be next:D

Bravo Mr @SM :D

I agree with you....but it definitely shouldn't be that way. For oh so many reasons. Unfortunately that's why he did it twice in this game and he'll keep doing it. Because referees are too afraid to take the necessary action, because the culture of the game doesn't support that, so the referees perpetuate that poisonous culture, and the cycle repeats.

I mean, this player cheated twice to get opponents sent off, he's everything that people hate about the game, he's completely bringing the sport into disrepute and is engaging in activities that FIFA and football associations love to pay lip service to 'cutting down on'.....and yet we still make excuses for him to be on the park, so 'people don't talk about the referee'. This sport is absurd!

It's that very culture which makes it all about the referee - the excuses achieve the exact opposite of what they're trying to do!

It's not right, but it's ok. He's gonna make it anyway... :cool:

FA Cup Final, followed by CL Final and then Euros? that's enough pressure for any human ... I say bravo for huim, after the slating he got in the FA Cup for not playing 2 advantages (please, give the guy a break) I think he did well ...

plus, it looked boiling in Milan that night - all players and officials had that sweaty glow about them from the word go ...

personally i think there was something a little odd about it... the fact that he was stood there shaking his head in disapproval means he had fully noted what pepe was at, but maybe he'd been 'advised' prior to not dish out cards for such .... i love a conspiracy :)

Back