A&H

Dutch Referee Blog - Week 12 Laws of the Game Quiz 2019-2020

The Referee Store
Which means if you are 20m out you can still be in the PA. Oh and wingers usually approach the goal on a diagonal run.

Also on the GK question.

If a team mate played the ball while it was 'under control by the goalkeeper' - could you not, in theory at least, if not in practice, call that playing in a dangerous manner?

Also on the GK question.

If a team mate played the ball while it was 'under control by the goalkeeper' - could you not, in theory at least, if not in practice, call that playing in a dangerous manner?
No. Playing in a dangerous manner "includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury" as a criterion.

No. Playing in a dangerous manner "includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury" as a criterion.

I'm coming back at you on that I'm afraid - the word 'includes' means that isn't the ONLY criteria for playing in a dangerous manner

It is not the only criteria but it must be part of it. But I can see where you are coming from. Yet another poor and ambiguous use of the word 'includes'. We have had this discussion before on another law.

How about the general concept of one can not foul a team mate. Fouls are only against an opponent. If that doesn't work, the 15-16 definition may help. This did not change (not listed as a change) only reworded to shorten it.

1574777325550.png

It is not the only criteria but it must be part of it. But I can see where you are coming from. Yet another poor and ambiguous use of the word 'includes'. We have had this discussion before on another law.

How about the general concept of one can not foul a team mate. Fouls are only against an opponent. If that doesn't work, the 15-16 definition may help. This did not change (not listed as a change) only reworded to shorten it.

View attachment 3895

Poorly worded as you say, the first part supports my argument with the word 'someone', but the 2nd part specifically mentions an opponent!

Of course as you know a player CAN be disciplined for an action against a team mate - the infamous Dyer/Bowyer fight comes to mind!

While IFAB has been blurring the lines between fouls and misconduct recently, I think it is remains that a foul is against an opponent or the opposing team.

While I agree that (again) IFAB managed to use awkward language to frame PIADM, I still believe the clear intent is that you have to have danger to someone that interferes with the ability of an opponent to play the ball.

But to go back to the question, why in the world would you be thinking of calling a foul on a player stupid enough to kick the ball away from his own GK?

Reactions: one
While IFAB has been blurring the lines between fouls and misconduct recently, I think it is remains that a foul is against an opponent or the opposing team.

While I agree that (again) IFAB managed to use awkward language to frame PIADM, I still believe the clear intent is that you have to have danger to someone that interferes with the ability of an opponent to play the ball.

But to go back to the question, why in the world would you be thinking of calling a foul on a player stupid enough to kick the ball away from his own GK?

I wouldn't, which is why I said in theory rather than in practice.

I had a player sat on the ball at the weekend. When I gave an IFK against him, for some inexplicable reason I told the player (in forum language) he was 'Playing In A Dangerous Manner'. One can imagine the confused look and mumbled nonsense in reply, which left me reflecting on the absurdity of the exchange and a section of the book which has been chucked in there as an afterthought

An afterthought? Don't think so. It's been a part of the Laws since at least the 70s, which takes it through two major rewrites (and I believe the language was adjusted in each of them). PIADM has always been about creating an unfair advantage from a dangerous but non-contact play.

Also on the GK question.

look what i found :)

1575037972732.png

Back