A&H

Drug trsting

refdave83

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Have just noticed on SSN that FIFA are discussing drug testing for match officials.

Don't get me wrong you can test me all day long and you will not find any drugs, I just don't understand the need for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

The Referee Store
If players are tested I don't see why officials shouldn't be. If they are using, it could effect judgement, awareness and communication.

no one should be exempt, let's keep the game clean

couple of years ago I recall seeing on youtube that a referee was intoxicated whilst on the FOP and that's no different to drugs, no doubt it will affect judgements

Two thoughts on this - ill do two comments

Intoxication
Had an experince a few years ago now on a supply league. I had an issue where I could smell alchol on of my assistants breath. Spoke to the other assistant on the quiet and he had the same thought. However he appeared sober and it may have been from the night before. During the game he gave a few odd decisions but nothing out the ordinary. However after the game wanted to go and fight with a spectator in the bar!

Reported it to the league and that was the end of it. Until a county fa hearing 6 months later where he admitted to having a drink before the game at home. He received a lengthy ban.

Drugs
Im not sure FIFA are looking at recreational drugs here but performance enhacnging drugs are more of a risk. If you think of the pressure that some of the top flight Referee's are under to be fit and up with play it wouldnt suprise me if we found that one used something to help his recovery time. Thinking EPO or something similar. I wonder do the Olympic match officials get subjected to drug testing as the athletes would?

Call me naive but I'm not familiar with drugs and maybe don't really understand the term
'recreational', what would come under this category?
My benchmark is that if I could be prosecuted for using a drug whilst driving then it has to be a no-no!
What are recreational drugs?

Recreational is used to imply that things are taken through choice, rather than necessity, often as part of a social setting. Think Ecstasy at clubs etc. These are usually the type of things that produce a euphoric high, rather than having any noticeable physical effect like a true painkiller, or anti-inflammatory does.

I saw a FA poster about drug testing yesterday and two of the medications I take on prescription (including one for asthma) would see me fail their doping tests! The asthma inhaler is listed as a banned performance enhancing drug (true it does enhance my performance - it allows me to breathe), while the other is banned because it is a diuretic and has been used to disguise the presence of nandrolone!

thanks tealeaf you have educated me, although it does cause further debate when treating asthma! off to find the FA poster, per chance did you see it on the web?

Sadly not. The Northampton RA run their training at the athletics stadium next to Northampton Town FC. The youth sides change and train at the athletics stadium and the poster was in there. The poster is available here:

http://www.thefa.com/GetIntoFootbal...dvice Poster.ashx/2012 Drug Advice Poster.pdf

You may have to copy and paste the link to get it to work. Very revealing - fluticasone is the asthma drug, bendroflumethiazide is the "hider"!

That's interesting. What is the procedure for getting around the regulations. I mean for instance, you've got to take these medications for asthma, would you get an exception if you notified the FA beforehand of the drugs you are using for your conditions? Or would you be made to take medication that is not on the banned list?

I'm not entirely certain. This is aimed at the pro-players who are subject to random testing. The only case I can think of is Edgar Davids. He wore those goggles because of glaucoma. He was not able to take the normal glaucoma medication because it contained a banned substance.

Back