A&H

Dropped ball

Xavier

I was refereeing a u11 Boys match. A player from team a Has the ball he kicks it up the Field of Play with power. When the ball is kicked it hits a player from team b in the head. I was worried so stopped the game. Is a dropped ball to team a a correct restart?

The Referee Store
I was refereeing a u11 Boys match. A player from team a Has the ball he kicks it up the Field of Play with power. When the ball is kicked it hits a player from team b in the head. I was worried so stopped the game. Is a dropped ball to team a a correct restart?

Law 8 is your friend.....

Im actually a 14 year old referee it was my first game and was wondering if i did this correctly. I read through law 8.2 and think i did this correctly. Thanks

Its actually an interesting one as most folk would give it to A
subject to the ball not having been in the pk area
The book however, says, " for one player of the team who last touched the ball"

which makes it, team B

So the laws say the dropped ball should be to team b. But i reckon becoase it was an accident i have it back to team a as it would be unfair for them to loose the ball.

So the laws say the dropped ball should be to team b. But i reckon becoase it was an accident i have it back to team a as it would be unfair for them to loose the ball.

I would run with the laws.

Esp when they are clear.

First--good recognition in stopping play on a possible head injury.

Second, whether we like the new DB standards or not, the Law is very clear that it goes to the team whose player last touched the ball when play was stopped. In this case, that is the "victim" who got hit in the head. The DB goes to his team. (Of course, unless he got hit in the PA or the ball was in the PA when you stopped play, in which case it would be a DB to the keeper, but I think you knew that.)

First--good recognition in stopping play on a possible head injury.

Second, whether we like the new DB standards or not, the Law is very clear that it goes to the team whose player last touched the ball when play was stopped. In this case, that is the "victim" who got hit in the head. The DB goes to his team. (Of course, unless he got hit in the PA or the ball was in the PA when you stopped play, in which case it would be a DB to the keeper, but I think you knew that.)
Thank you for a very clear explanation im 14 years old and this was my first game. I just want to Ask do you blow your whistle when dropping the ball or not?
Thanks

Never as you are dropping it.

A DB restart does not require a whistle. But any restart after an injury stoppage does--the point is a formality to make sure everyone knows the game is restarting after the delay. So you should blow you whistle before you start the DB.

First and foremost, you got the big, most important decision right, so a big well done on that.

Head injuries can be really nasty, and can often present sometime after the event. If ever in doubt stop the game as you did.

And I must confess, I’d have probably (incorrectly I now know!) given the drop ball to team A.

I don’t wish to embarrass or patronise you, but it looks to me like you’ve got a bright future ahead of you: you did the right thing at the time, and then have taken the time reflect and ask questions which can only improve your game.

First and foremost, you got the big, most important decision right, so a big well done on that.

Head injuries can be really nasty, and can often present sometime after the event. If ever in doubt stop the game as you did.

And I must confess, I’d have probably (incorrectly I now know!) given the drop ball to team A.

I don’t wish to embarrass or patronise you, but it looks to me like you’ve got a bright future ahead of you: you did the right thing at the time, and then have taken the time reflect and ask questions which can only improve your game.

i suppose there is debate in, did player B actually touch the ball

or did the ball touch him!

I think if you read the wording, it is clear.

Team of last player to touch ball where it touched them... Words to that effect anyway.

Thank you for your help😀

Are we really getting that pedantic about the wording?

subject to the ball not having been in the pk area
Since we are getting pedantic, what is a pk area? 😊

For OP, something not mentioned (I think), if the ball went out before you stopped the game, restart is throw in to team a.
And agree with others, well done for stopping the game.

Are we really getting that pedantic about the wording?

Since we are getting pedantic, what is a pk area? 😊

For OP, something not mentioned (I think), if the ball went out before you stopped the game, restart is throw in to team a.
And agree with others, well done for stopping the game.

I was not being serious.

Back