A&H

Dropped ball scenario

Zimmyman

Ok before you all say I should know the rules and read the good book I’m up with it but one thing happened in a game that threw me right yellow player goes down injured it’s a school friendly so I stop game with yellow keeper in possession after the injury was sorted I just asked him to play on it should this have been a dropped ball

The Referee Store
Since you stopped play, technically it should be restarted by one of the legal restarts. The correct one in your case is dropped ball. But I have seen many referees do the same as you in a good spirited friendly game. I haven't done it and wouldn't recommend it. You never know when it would bite you on the backside.

Yes surprisingly common, not a hanging offence, sometimes seems the sensible thing to do, but no doubting its best practise just to follow the laws

Done this many times, always announce to the entire pitch however that the you’re restarting from the keeper, prevents problems if anything results from it

And once the new laws go into effect, actually dropping the ball to the GK makes very little sense . . .
I'm not sure I follow, once the new laws go into effect that's exactly what the referee's supposed to do.
The ball is dropped for the defending team goalkeeper in their penalty area if, when play was stopped:
• the ball was in the penalty area or
• the last touch of the ball was in the penalty area

I'm not sure I follow, once the new laws go into effect that's exactly what the referee's supposed to do.

Yes. But why actually drop it? The ball goes to the GK in the PA. Why does it make sense for the ref to have to go to the GK I. Th PA just to do it. If we’re abandoning true DBs (which we are) why not just have the GK start play by picking up the ball following a signal from the ref?

Yes. But why actually drop it? The ball goes to the GK in the PA. Why does it make sense for the ref to have to go to the GK I. Th PA just to do it. If we’re abandoning true DBs (which we are) why not just have the GK start play by picking up the ball following a signal from the ref?
I think because that would mean an additional restart type and required a new definition for when the ball is in play. It also brings additional complexities.
For me the simplest and most practical solution would have been a goal kick restart which is much more orderly than a (meaningless) dropped ball to an uncontested keeper or the ball in the keeper's hand with the added law complexities. But it means modifying every reference to a dropped ball to "dropped ball or a goal kick according to Law 8". I guess that is why they left it to dropped ball to lessen the impact it has in other areas of the laws.

Back