A&H

Drop Balls

Jammyboyuk

Level 7 Referee
Hi could anyone tell me whether a drop ball after a stoppage for a head injury should be an attacking drop ball for the last team that touched the ball, or an ‘old fashioned’ kick it back to their keeper? Thanks

The Referee Store
Dropped to the team that had possession unless ball is in penalty box when play is stopped where you can just drop it to the keeper

Dropped to the team that had possession unless ball is in penalty box when play is stopped where you can just drop it to the
Dropped to the team that had possession unless ball is in penalty box when play is stopped where you can just drop it to the keeper
Thanks, to clarify though, is it an attacking ball, ie the same as if the ball had hit the referee, or back to the keeper? Thanks in advance

In your wording, if the ball is outside the penalty area it’s an ‘attacking ball’ so the team that kicked it at you win the possession back and can do as they like with it other than shoot directly. It is uncontested.

Thanks, to clarify though, is it an attacking ball, ie the same as if the ball had hit the referee, or back to the keeper? Thanks in advance
The ball should be dropped to the side that was in possession, in the same position on the field when you blew for the head injury

IF the ball was in the penalty area when you blew, regardless of who was in possession, the ball is dropped to the GK.

It’s not on the referee to tell anyone to kick it to anyone following a drop ball or throw in etc. That’s up to the players, if they don’t want to, they don’t have to.

Thanks both, was getting confused regarding drop ball after an injury, and drop ball after hitting a referee. Much clearer now!

Thanks both, was getting confused regarding drop ball after an injury, and drop ball after hitting a referee. Much clearer now!
There’s no difference. If play is stopped for any reason that leads to a DB, the exact same rules apply to who the bar is dropped to.

You might want go to back and re-read the DB section of the magic book.

Thanks, I have read the magic book many times, I suppose it was more of a practical and moral/sportsmanship answer that I was looking for, cheers though!

Thanks, I have read the magic book many times, I suppose it was more of a practical and moral/sportsmanship answer that I was looking for, cheers though!
The rule is the rule is the rule. If players choose to do something they feel is sporting, that is 100% out to them—as it has always been. Referees have never had the authority to direct a sporting restart. (The perceived problems arising in sporting restarts are why the new DB guidelines (which I still dislike) were put into place.)

Reactions: one
The referee choosing what is sporting (what football expects) has its place. This is when you can apply it within the framework of the laws, there is nothing in law to help you make a decision, or as below case, the law unclear :) (yet again)

Law 9
The ball is out of play when: it touches a match official, remains on the field of play and: the team in possession of the ball changes
In all these cases, play is restarted with a dropped ball.

Law 8
... In all other cases, the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where ...

Blue player has possession. A pass rebounds of a green player, touches the referee and then goes to another green player who gains possession. This is all in midfield (I have actually had this happen to me twice since the law change. Its the rebounds that get you and you cant get out of the way).

Is this a dropped ball and if so which team do you drop it to?

The referee choosing what is sporting (what football expects) has its place. This is when you can apply it within the framework of the laws, there is nothing in law to help you make a decision, or as below case, the law unclear :) (yet again)

Law 9
The ball is out of play when: it touches a match official, remains on the field of play and: the team in possession of the ball changes
In all these cases, play is restarted with a dropped ball.

Law 8
... In all other cases, the referee drops the ball for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the position where ...

Blue player has possession. A pass rebounds of a green player, touches the referee and then goes to another green player who gains possession. This is all in midfield (I have actually had this happen to me twice since the law change. Its the rebounds that get you and you cant get out of the way).

Is this a dropped ball and if so which team do you drop it to?
Before the ball touched the referee it was last touched by green, so green is technically in possession. It then goes to another green player, so possession does not change. So unless this begins a promising attack for green, we play on.

green is technically in possession
I challenge this. In fact I'd say exactly the opposite. 'technically' green is not in possession.

Lotg does not have definitions for control and possession in general play so let's look at English definition.

Screenshot_20201018-162807.jpg

You may well be right, but until the LOTG define it otherwise, I shall take the team who last touched the ball as the team in possession. It means I can apply the drop ball laws without moving into the realms of conjecture or supposition.

You may well be right, but until the LOTG define it otherwise, I shall take the team who last touched the ball as the team in possession. It means I can apply the drop ball laws without moving into the realms of conjecture or supposition.
I don't really have an issue with that and in fact it is the point I was making in post #10. When not clear, do what you think is fair or makes sense.

Back