A&H

Drop ball

RefJef

RefChat Addict
I think this is a great clip for a learning/training point of view - lots to think about.

I suggest you watch the clip first and ponder on it yourself before reading any comments, either in the twitter thread or this thread, and decide what you’d do/would have done before commenting yourself or seeing what others have said. For me there are two (or perhaps three) big takeaways, but I wont mention them yet

The Referee Store
Well, Keeper and Ref have done wrong. Ref for dropping ball before either team is ready. Keeper for not knowing he cannot score without ball touching another player off of a drop ball. No goal. Goal kick restart.

no-michael-scott.gif

This is objectively terrible refereeing in more ways than one.

Lots of great (and correct) replies.

Without wishing to throw our colleague under the bus, I think it’s a great clip for us all to remember why “no surprises “ refereeing is so important.

We don’t know if he was frustrated with the teams not coming back onto the pitch, but re-starting the game like that was not a good move.

We don’t see the what happens at the end - if he remembers it should be no goal, restart with a goal kick, that will be his get out of jail free card as after a bit of whinging, the outcome of the game won’t have changed and everyone will move on. If the goal stands (either in this case erroneously, or if in an alternate case, the keeper passes the ball to a teammate who scores) his match control will be gone.

I personally would have told the blue team to get back on and take their positions and then drop the ball to the GK.

Alternatively if I wanted to cause a riot I would disallow the goal correctly and then caution the GK for unsporting behaviour send off at least 2 players for the inevitable insulting language send the manager off whilst I’m at it grab all my gear and aim of a PB 10k run home

Back