A&H

Drop ball

Maddison

Level 9 Referee
Made a decision today and unsure if I were right or wrong .
2 players battling for ball , defender slips onto all fours and ball underneath him . Attacker wanting to kick the ball from under him about to start leaning in with the knee . More players moving in closer so a quick blast on the whistle and everyone freezers ( which I found a little amusing ) .
I think I could of gave a foul for obstruction by the defender but I gave a drop ball .
My view was if I gave a drop ball then no team is worse off or better off . Sort of defused the situation b4 it turned nasty .
Opinions please :)

The Referee Store
It really should be a foul against the player shielding the ball, penalised with an IDFK. You can either say it is impeding, or that he is playing in a dangerous manner as he is likely to get kicked into next week if he doesn't move.

I had similar in a 94th minute Alamo incident a few years ago, Player literally on all 4s shielding the ball with his arms around the ball. He was lucky he wasn't kicked somewhere important. Not a lot of surprised players when i awarded a penalty to make it 3-3....

I had similar in a 94th minute Alamo incident a few years ago, Player literally on all 4s shielding the ball with his arms around the ball. He was lucky he wasn't kicked somewhere important. Not a lot of surprised players when i awarded a penalty to make it 3-3....
Shouldnt you have awarded an idfk SF

Made a decision today and unsure if I were right or wrong .
2 players battling for ball , defender slips onto all fours and ball underneath him . Attacker wanting to kick the ball from under him about to start leaning in with the knee . More players moving in closer so a quick blast on the whistle and everyone freezers ( which I found a little amusing ) .
I think I could of gave a foul for obstruction by the defender but I gave a drop ball .
My view was if I gave a drop ball then no team is worse off or better off . Sort of defused the situation b4 it turned nasty .
Opinions please :)

Obstruction? Which page of the laws is that?

No such thing as obstruction.

In these scenarios, you need to judge it on its merits. The offence is 'playing in a dangerous manner' - if the defender is staying on the ground above the ball and shielding the ball on his hands and knees, then the opponent can't safely take the ball. So IFK against the defender.

BUT

It's not a foul to fall over. So you need to give the defender a reasonably chance to get up or release the ball. It's not a foul the moment he's on hands and knees over the ball. If he doesn't make an effort to move, then it's a foul.

BUT

Why isn't he able to move? Sometimes the player on the ground can't get up because of the actions of the standing players It may also be possible that the standing player is the guilty of PIADM!!

You said the attacker is leaning in with a knee - is his knee on the defender or did he striker the defender with his knee while trying to kick the ball? If so, why didn't you award a DFK against the attacker?

Sometimes in these scenarios you just know it can't possibly end well but it isn't anybody's fault (yet) so you stop play before somebody does commit a foul. DB is the correct option.

I'd probably only do this in fairly low level games or youth football. Couldn't imagine it at a high level men's match.

No, I gave deliberate hand ball. DFK!!!! When I said shielding it was more cuddling!!!

Let's elaborate on this, because I've seen a LOT of referees get this one wrong. So for the sake of education, what happened to warrant a DFK?

Great post Capn. I've confidently called a few IDFK for players falling on the ball this season. I'll be looking out for other players' actions that might be stopping them getting up, next time. Nice one.

obstruction isn't in the LOTG @CapnBloodbeard but impeding an opponent is - are these not 2 of the same? the player on the floor is impeding the opposition?/

just a thought ... little devils advocate

impede
ɪmˈpiːd/
verb
verb: impede; 3rd person present: impedes; past tense: impeded; past participle: impeded; gerund or present participle: impeding
  1. delay or prevent (someone or something) by obstructing them; hinder.

impeding does contain the word obstruct, and has contact ... for FIFA/IFAB to use the word impede and imply it means 'no contact' would mean that FIFA are now bending the rules and words of the Oxford Dictiionary and the English language as we know it ...

I know FIFA think they're world leaders, but that's a little sceptical in my book

they actually changed it to impede as obstruction was literally 'blocking' impeding carries a vast selection of scenarios and examples meaning it is now a more whole law - and as such better ...

Did you buy some cheap Chinese knockoff of the LOTG off ebay? :D:D
No, there isn't.
Lol poorly worded :) you can impede an opponent with or without contact. A contact scenario would just be a foul. There is a section on impeding without but interestingly it talks about the ball not being in playing distance so assuming the ball is in playing distance in the op scenario not sure impeding progress can be applied so Id be looking at PIADM once all other considerations you pointed at are met.

@captain Birdseye
Player decides to deliberately fall on the ball with his arms cuddling it was a deliberate attempt to stop the ball going in the net, let's call it a goalkeeper smother... Penalty, and you know what, the home team who were usually the worst team ever to referee hardly said a peep...

Last edited:
@captain Birdseye
Player decides to deliberately fall on the ball with his arms cuddling it was a deliberate attempt to stop the ball going in the net, let's call it a goalkeeper smoother... Penalty, and you know what, the home team who were usually the worst team ever to referee hardly said a peep...
Penalty and a red?

No, penalty and a yellow... It wasn't directly going in, it was the 93rd minute Alamo and it was just a comedy moment, He just wanted me to blow time... I did, just after the penalty!!!

Lol poorly worded :) you can impede an opponent with or without contact. A contact scenario would just be a foul. There is a section on impeding without but interestingly it talks about the ball not being in playing distance so assuming the ball is in playing distance in the op scenario not sure impeding progress can be applied so Id be looking at PIADM once all other considerations you pointed at are met.
I think you're still a bit tangled up.
"Impeding with contact" would become charging. There's no such think as 'impedes with contact'.

Also, a foul is either an indirect or a direct free kick.

You're correct that the relevant foul in the OP scenario is PIADM because the opponent can't play the ball safely - but you have to allow the player a reasonable opportunity to get up; can't penalise somebody just for falling over.

@James Long and @AlexF are correct @CapnBloodbeard ... copied directly from IFAB for this years Laws ...

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
If an offence involves contact it is penalised by a direct free kick or penalty kick.

• Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned
  • Using excessive force is when a player exceeds the necessary use of force and endangers the safety of an opponent and must be sent off
A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
  • handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
  • holds an opponent
  • impedes an opponent with contact
  • spits at an opponent

Back