"The whistle is needed to:
restart play after it has been stopped for a:
•caution or sending-off
•injury
•substitution"

"The whistle is NOT needed to:
• restart play from:
•most free kicks, and a goal kick, corner kick, throw-in or dropped ball"

I originally thought the same as you James, but do you blow to restart from a throw after a sub or injury? Yes you do. Why is drop ball different? It says whistle is not needed for throw, but you do?

I believe the law is saying 'unless there are other circumstances' a whistle is not required.
Yes. But as the referee you aren't in control of those other restarts.
I just can't ever imagine ever whistling before or during a dropped ball, as despite the guidance, and differences in interpretation, it just does not feel necessary because I will be there controlling a restart. A throw, corner etc. etc. the player has the ball so needs some signal to start. Whereas in a dropped ball scenario my dropping of the ball is that signal.
In the very next sentence the guidance talks about not over using the whistle.
Also note its guidance here not law so whilst we have a difference of opinion neither of us is wrong I don't suspect.

The Referee Store
I've emailed IFAB, all will become clear...

Do we have time for a show of hands?

Whistle mandatory?
No whistle needed?
or, it does not matter which?

am certainly in the, no whistle required for a drop ball restart camp, a whistle before the procedure of drop ball following an injury I can understand, to let all and sundry know, hey, the game is about to restart here but, a whistle which is actually part of the drop ball procedure, no.

(if that makes sense!)

I have occasionally blown for drop balls after injuries of a minute or more (roughly). I find players tend to bunch up and talk/not pay attention. Quick whistle gets them all ready so nothing is unexpected. I think that's fair

Whistle mandatory?
No whistle needed?

am certainly in the, no whistle required for a drop ball restart camp, a whistle before the procedure of drop ball following an injury I can understand, to let all and sundry know, hey, the game is about to restart here but, a whistle which is actually part of the drop ball procedure, no.

(if that makes sense!)
Not sure anyone is advocating a whistle DURING the DB. I am saying whistle, couple of seconds, then drop.

I think if there's been an injury and you've been focussed on the treatment of the injury, you'll often need to whistle to get the ball passed to you to continue, but I've never thought of whistling simply to signal a restart. As others say, it feels very unnecessary.

We all agree the dropped ball in itself IS the restart. The disagreement here is whether we need to signal BEFORE it to communicate 'injury done, about to continue'.

We all agree the dropped ball in itself IS the restart. The disagreement here is whether we need to signal BEFORE it to communicate 'injury done, about to continue'.

You have worded it well ! Yes, I can understand if the book says that is to happen. I personally don't/did not/ though consider that to be part of the drop ball process, more a general basic form of communication.
I suppose esp if anyone does womens/girls games, at a prolonged injury, you find both sets of players are at the tech areas so yes, totally can understand a blast of whistle, then moving to the drop ball place.
Cant say I would whistle should everyone be in position anyway and it was a near ceremonial (!) restart anyway.

simple things eh ?!!!

Why is drop ball different? It says whistle is not needed for throw, but you do?

I whistle for the throw in to indicate I'm ready, or that the person in question has finally limped off the field of play and we can get on with it.

I don't whistle for drop ball, because, well it's pretty obvious we're starting from a drop ball. That's the difference for me, a drop ball isn't happening until I'm sure the injured player is off the pitch anyway, the restart occurs when I drop it and it hits the ground.

I might use the whistle before the drop ball ceremony to ensure both teams are alert to the fact we're restarting, because you know what they're like, they go off and drink a bottle on the sidelines and don't pay attention. But that whistle is for attention rather than to restart.

That's my interpretation of it anyway.

Whistle mandatory?
No whistle needed?

I think the convention, and answer, is that a whistle is not needed before restarting the game with a dropped ball. This is because the dropping of the ball is a clear signal from the referee.

However, I have blown before, before a dropped ball, to make sure everyone is awake and ready after a long injury break. It seemed fair and obvious at the time.

Talk about storm in a teacup :)

Yes the law could have been written better but there is nothing wrong with it as it is.

Needed: it's a requirement. Must do
Not needed: not a requirement (unnecessarily ) but can still be done

I need to read the laws of the game, that's why I do it all the time.
I don't need to be on this forum but I still am

"A whistle which is used too frequently/unnecessarily will have less impact when it is needed."
This simply says don't use the whistle when its is not needed, unless it's needed.

Last edited:
I don't whistle for drop ball, because, well it's pretty obvious we're starting from a drop ball.
I might use the whistle before the drop ball ceremony to ensure both teams are alert to the fact we're restarting
This is the distinction. The whistle isn't 'for' the dropped ball, it's to signal that the injury 'period' has come to an end and we are about to restart.

Just drop the blooming ball and get the game restarted.... 😎Football expects that it’s not all about the referees splitting hairs on minor law anomalies.

Hmm, use of the whistle. Like whistling for a corner that none of us at grassroots do, yet happens every single time at the top of the ladder.

On the subject of dropped-balls, "Gentlemen, the ball is in play once it has touched the ground. You kick each other, its a yellow. You kick me, its a red. Ready?"

If we had shenanigans I’d drop it slightly where there weren’t expecting it... stops them kicking us at least!

Hmm, use of the whistle. Like whistling for a corner that none of us at grassroots do, yet happens every single time at the top of the ladder.

On the subject of dropped-balls, "Gentlemen, the ball is in play once it has touched the ground. You kick each other, its a yellow. You kick me, its a red. Ready?"
And what do you do if one of them violently and brutally kicks the other? ;) Don't back yourself into a corner, simples :)

"I will take serious action if you do anything silly" if you must.

Reactions: JH
Back