A&H

Double Jump?

Jacob Walukiewicz

I was on a final the other day and heard the other officials talking about the 4 to 3 promotions as there were 3 listed from out county. They then got on the conversation of some other guys that were up for promotion and mentioned that someone was going from level 6 to 4 and he was on the same course as me (as far as I can tell anyway) which I did two years ago.
I'd never heard of the double jump before then so can someone shed some light maybe?

The Referee Store
Some counties allow for referees to do the 'double jump' (London being one of them). Basically it means that in one marking season (March 1st - February 28th), referees have the ability to complete 2 (or 3) promotions in one go.

To go from 7-5, a referee will have to complete 40 matches within the season (20 between March and October, and 20 between October and February) and be assessed 6 times (3 between March and October, and 20 between October and February). As well as this, they also have to complete the two exams (7-6 and 6-5) at in-service training events. If a referee going for promotion has an average of greater than 73, then the County FA may also nominate them to the FA for promotion to level 4 - effectively meaning they have had 3 promotions in one season. Providing they have completed the relevant fitness test and have also attended one of the FA seminars where an additional Laws of the Game assessment is sat.

If you want the opinions of users of the forum, do a quick search. It has been discussed many times before with the general consensus that the older 'more experienced' referees don't agree with it, whilst the younger referees seem to think the idea is a good one, allowing them to progress up the ladder more quickly.

The only guy I know who did 6-4 regrets it to this day, he is convinced that the extra time as a 5 would have stood him in good stead and made him a better ref and possibly even now a 3. If you are good enough you will get there and 1 more year wont hurt.

The only guy I know who did 6-4 regrets it to this day, he is convinced that the extra time as a 5 would have stood him in good stead and made him a better ref and possibly even now a 3. If you are good enough you will get there and 1 more year wont hurt.
That's what my colleagues were saying, they were saying the type of football played comparatively is massively different, I personally think the levels are there for a reason, why skip them? From what I can tell this lad is relatively young as well.

I think there's a benefit to doing 7-5 to get newer referees to their "level" quicker, but I'm less convinced about the double jumps as you go higher up. The standard of football and demands on you seem to increase each level you move up, which doesn't happen as much lower down.

Add me to the exact same category. I went 6-4 and it's a huge regret within my refereeing!
I actually do agree with going 7-5, but never missing out going to 4. I know 2 London referees who attempted 7-4 (few years back)...they each got their 6. Think that says enough!

I didn't double jump, just went one level at a time and it's the best decision I made. I got to level 3 on my first season as a level 4 and that would have never happened if I had done the double jump. Unless you're in your 30's then what's the rush getting somewhere! Learn your trade and appreciate the journey, it makes you want it more and gives you a solid base to work from.

I'm waiting to find out the result of whether I'm getting Level 4. I started the season as a 6.

There isn't a rush, I missed out on L5 last year because I couldn't get enough games in (work issues - I've now changed jobs). So in my view I've cancelled out that issue this year.

I've worked my cherries off this year though.

If I get it marvellous, if not then I'll be ready next year!

I'm waiting to find out the result of whether I'm getting Level 4. I started the season as a 6.

There isn't a rush, I missed out on L5 last year because I couldn't get enough games in (work issues - I've now changed jobs). So in my view I've cancelled out that issue this year.

I've worked my cherries off this year though.

If I get it marvellous, if not then I'll be ready next year!
But you haven't done that season at 5, doing L5 middles and appropriate lines.
How many assessments have you had as AR on a Step 5 game (Supply League Prem)?

If I had to guess I'd say it was double figures this year....

Edit - just counted and its 8 but two have been observed by Assessors as well and feedback given.

I feel I should also add, by end of month I'll have done at least 18 supply lines this season, 4 academy games, 2 semi finals, 5 Under 19 and 2 Under 21 games.

I know how important it is to not get to contrib and not know which end of the flag to hold!

Listen, good luck to you if you do get it.
Having done it, I think it's an enormous jump and should be completely banned across the country, but I truly hope you prove me wrong, if given the opportunity

You've never mentioned it ;-)

Thanks for the wishes....to be honest I think I like a lot of people are just ready to know! If not the answer then at least when!

If I'm honest I don't think the games differ that much around here for 6's and 5's. This season I've been getting better games than some of the 5's. A league cup final. A district cup semi-final. A county cup final.

You know a few who did the double jump. I'll tell you at RA next week. I do think one step at a time works best.

Do I? Well i can guess who it may be, didn't realise he had double jumped though!!

Ollie - Jamie in the academy is going for 6-4 this year.

I know Jamie very well and consider him a close mate as well as a colleague, and I tried and tried to talk him out of it (along with about 10 other people, who you will know them all through county), but he is insistent.

I've told him many times he needs to gain the experience and he has plenty of time (he's 26).

From what he says he looks at that the other way though, and thinks time is on his side if he doesn't make it, which I can understand.

As I've said to him though, it could be more damaging to go too hard too soon and take 3 or 4 steps backwards along the way.

Of course he could smash it and do it though, in which case I'd be thrilled for him.

Back