A&H

Double Booking

Matthew

RefChat Addict
This happened in my U15 match last weekend, but it seems apt to post this given the ongoing debate around what constitutes dissent and how to deal with it.

Pretty uneventful game until the second half. The home side went ahead after a very, very tight offside call; I had a decent angle on it but without NAR's there was just no way I could be sure, gut feeling was that he was just on. Ended up cautioning one of the defenders for dissent.

Five minutes later, after I gave a FK to the home side, one of the away subs decided to say his piece. He shouted to me (bear in mind that he was sixty yards away, so it had to be pretty loud for me to hear it) that I was a "joke", before letting me know that there were "two teams out here ref". I walked over and cautioned him, but as I wrote his name down, he started laughing, before telling me I was a disgrace and applauding. Out came the second yellow and off he went.

I personally don't think there was any other way to deal with that. He shouted across the pitch for the first caution and he deserved everything he got for being stupid enough to do the same thing seconds later.

The Referee Store
Agreed.

I've done a team today that I came very close to doing the same with. Ended up with a very loud and strongly worded warning that having one caution for dissent didn't make him immune from an immediate second if he didn't shut his trap.

Luckily for him there was only 2 minutes left or I guarantee he'd have walked.

Today was no different - I've had his team 4 times this season and cautioned him for dissent every time.

Today's was the stupidest - one of his team mates is fouled, wait a couple of seconds, no advantage, blow for a free kick in his teams' favour. Careless challenge nobody else on the park had an issue with, no advantage and his team got FK on halfway line but he still gobbed off about how I was a joke. Come on pal, let's go through the same routine. I don't even have to ask his name any more, and it has a particularly tricky spelling.

After the game his manager apologised for him and said they constantly tell him to shut up before games, but he must have deep pockets.

I told him I now write his dissent caution in my notebook before kick off :D

This happened in my U15 match last weekend, but it seems apt to post this given the ongoing debate around what constitutes dissent and how to deal with it.

Pretty uneventful game until the second half. The home side went ahead after a very, very tight offside call; I had a decent angle on it but without NAR's there was just no way I could be sure, gut feeling was that he was just on. Ended up cautioning one of the defenders for dissent.

Five minutes later, after I gave a FK to the home side, one of the away subs decided to say his piece. He shouted to me (bear in mind that he was sixty yards away, so it had to be pretty loud for me to hear it) that I was a "joke", before letting me know that there were "two teams out here ref". I walked over and cautioned him, but as I wrote his name down, he started laughing, before telling me I was a disgrace and applauding. Out came the second yellow and off he went.

I personally don't think there was any other way to deal with that. He shouted across the pitch for the first caution and he deserved everything he got for being stupid enough to do the same thing seconds later.
Totally agree.

Tried my best to keep a player on today. Went up the steps with him before a C3. Brought the captain in a second time to help me on his second low level foul after the caution but could do nothing when he kicked an opponent who was getting away from him.

You did the right thing there Matthew. He left you with no choice at all.

On a side note, don't 'walk up to the player'. You're moving into their territory, it's a bit of a psychological thing. Blow the whistle, and call them over to a neutral point so you'll meet there to issue the card.

Young players in particular often seem to benefit from a long and embarrassing walk to the ref as well!

You did the right thing there Matthew. He left you with no choice at all.

On a side note, don't 'walk up to the player'. You're moving into their territory, it's a bit of a psychological thing. Blow the whistle, and call them over to a neutral point so you'll meet there to issue the card.

Young players in particular often seem to benefit from a long and embarrassing walk to the ref as well!

Totally agree, and that's exactly what I would normally do. I didn't really have much choice but to go over with him being a sub!

Back