A&H

Doms or do I need to see a physio?

Bob1871

Level 6 Referee
I Have been reffing since I've been 14 ( now 22 level 6 going to level 5) and when I was reffing when I was younger I don't remember having any problems with my legs the days following matches that I do now.

For example, on Saturday I had an adult fixture which was a cup game and a good standard. I felt really fit and was able to run freely and without any trouble and I felt reasonably mobile. However might I add I do need to lose some weight to increase my mobility further which I am working towards now.

On Sunday morning I had a game and I felt nowhere near as fit and found it hard to be mobile and quick of the mark consistently throughout the game. Since then my calf muscles especially have been aching heavily all day to the point where I am struggling when I am walking about.

Would appreciate any info/ advice based on any experiences you've had.

The Referee Store
I Have been reffing since I've been 14 ( now 22 level 6 going to level 5) and when I was reffing when I was younger I don't remember having any problems with my legs the days following matches that I do now.

For example, on Saturday I had an adult fixture which was a cup game and a good standard. I felt really fit and was able to run freely and without any trouble and I felt reasonably mobile. However might I add I do need to lose some weight to increase my mobility further which I am working towards now.

On Sunday morning I had a game and I felt nowhere near as fit and found it hard to be mobile and quick of the mark consistently throughout the game. Since then my calf muscles especially have been aching heavily all day to the point where I am struggling when I am walking about.

Would appreciate any info/ advice based on any experiences you've had.
Buy a ton of really cheap sea salt and put a kilo in a hot bath after the game. I seem to get some benefit from doing so
Occasional magnesium supplements were recommended to me by a Consultant Physician after some torn muscles a few years ago. I've not had any muscle problems since. Anti-inflammatories may obviously help, but they're bad for you. Maybe even try compression leggings overnight after the game. I don't think there's a physio out there who would condone doing games on consecutive days, so perhaps that's not for you instead of all this quack stuff I've suggested

Last edited:
Definitely DOMS. Although normally it takes a day or two for the effects to really present themselves (the clue is in the words 😉).

I used to referee 3 underage games on a Sat and an open age on a Sunday but gave it up as it got in the way of my (long distance) running. What I'd suggest you look at is:
- Hydration: Ensure you take on plenty of water before, during and immediately after a game. Also make sure you are taking on plenty of liquid outside of games.
- Food: At the end of almost every race, there are bananas. Reason that they contain magnesium and potassium. Both important for recovery.
- Warm up/Cool down: Make sure you get a good routine, and I don't just mean doing a few stretches - do some light jogging around the pitch.
- Foam rolling: a couple of times a week. While I also use a massage gun, I find rolling much more effective.
- Stretching during the week. Plenty you can find on google.

I'm not a real believer in supplements myself as long as you have a decent enough diet. Saying that, I take one of the Boots own brand Berocca every day, more just to start the day drinking a decent amount.
As mentioned elsewhere, salt baths - I got a 10kg bucket of Epson salts from Amazon. Again not sure how good they are even when I use them.
I also use compression socks and I think they work well for me. I've read some guidance to only keep them on for a few hours after the exercise, and not longer.
I also don't see a problem with games on consecutive games - at least not from a physical perspective. That assumes you are doing something a couple of times during the week.

If none of the above help, maybe a physio, but as someone who has been to one plenty of times, I think they are going to say much of what is above.

Like you, I used to be able to do a game on a Saturday and a game on a Sunday with ease. As you get older, your body just can’t take as much without needing you to perform some self-help to keep you going.

All the ideas above seem spot on. I’d also add Yoga into the mix.

And don’t forget rest days!

The fitter you are the less your muscles will ache. Gadgets, physios, salts etc are all things that aid the excess recovery required from not being fit enough. It's marginal gain stuff, not a substitute for fitness. Realistically the majority of referees will be running 4-8k in an amateur match lasting over 90 minutes with a 15 minute break in the middle. Doing that twice in a weekend at 22 years old is not something any physio (or more importantly, a doctor) would say is too much. Neither at 42 imo.

The fitter you get and the more physical exercise you do the less muscle soreness you will feel until you will probably feel none at all if you get to a good state of fitness. If you continue to get fit over a prolonged period and still get muscle soreness then you can consider a physio etc but ultimately its unlikely you'll need one if you're relatively fit.

Apologies for the bluntness but the amount of referees I see taking supplements such as gels and protein/energy bars (which are just sugars and chemicals) and tracking themselves on expensive technology yet are not in a good state of basic fitness is alarming. Like everything, get the basics right and go from there

The fitter you are the less your muscles will ache. Gadgets, physios, salts etc are all things that aid the excess recovery required from not being fit enough. It's marginal gain stuff, not a substitute for fitness. Realistically the majority of referees will be running 4-8k in an amateur match lasting over 90 minutes with a 15 minute break in the middle. Doing that twice in a weekend at 22 years old is not something any physio (or more importantly, a doctor) would say is too much. Neither at 42 imo.

The fitter you get and the more physical exercise you do the less muscle soreness you will feel until you will probably feel none at all if you get to a good state of fitness. If you continue to get fit over a prolonged period and still get muscle soreness then you can consider a physio etc but ultimately its unlikely you'll need one if you're relatively fit.

Apologies for the bluntness but the amount of referees I see taking supplements such as gels and protein/energy bars (which are just sugars and chemicals) and tracking themselves on expensive technology yet are not in a good state of basic fitness is alarming. Like everything, get the basics right and go from there
Agree to an extent. Fitness gadgets, gels, supplements, etc, might well provide some assistance but you need a level of core fitness.

It isn't that straight forward though. Everyone's body is different, and I've had injury problems for pretty much the past 10 years. My BMI is good, I have 18% body fat which is very good for someone in their 50s, I can comfortably pass the L4 fitness test, but I keep breaking down with a whole range of different injuries. No referee is the same, just as no footballer is the same. Perhaps I'm the refereeing version of Darren Anderton, but there are lots of referees and players that have had similar issues.

Ice baths for me. Well without the ice. I run the bath on the coldest setting after a game.

Then fully submerge. I am in the military so I have had years of trying to figure out recovery for myself. Everything mentioned above is brilliant.

Nothing works better than an a freezing bath and just lie in it for as long as you can survive.

There is a reason that you see all the top teams with their crypo pods, and ice baths etc. It is awesome.

Agree to an extent. Fitness gadgets, gels, supplements, etc, might well provide some assistance but you need a level of core fitness.

It isn't that straight forward though. Everyone's body is different, and I've had injury problems for pretty much the past 10 years. My BMI is good, I have 18% body fat which is very good for someone in their 50s, I can comfortably pass the L4 fitness test, but I keep breaking down with a whole range of different injuries. No referee is the same, just as no footballer is the same. Perhaps I'm the refereeing version of Darren Anderton, but there are lots of referees and players that have had similar issues.
There will always be people with different issues witht their body and no one statement could cover them all. But the general rule applies. I was also being specific on muscle soreness, injuries is much more complicated as its very individual and dependant on injury history. I'm the opposite to you, played Saturday & Sunday + some midweek until I was 32 and then finished to referee and never had a serious injury. Hardly ever missed a-game with injury. Part luck part genetics I suppose. I'm 40 now and did 4 games in 5 days last week with no muscle soreness. But I'm fitter now than I was when I played and I do alot of exercise. Yet over the summer I moved out of the UK and had alot going on and let my fitness drift for 3 months, put on 10kg and when I did games I was finding them a chore physically and had soreness. 3 months later of eating right and doing alot of gym work + cardio, no soreness at all and games are an absolute breeze physically. Losing the 10kg made a huge difference and my legs are used to regular exercise.

Illnesses and injuries will always challenge us physically and present problems to overcome. But my message from my experience and what I see in others is the fitter you are the less issues you will have. The key is to look for answers in your own fitness and diet and not looking for answers with supplements, physios, gadgets or gimmicks. But there are benefits to these things (aside from supplements) of course, but they're not a cure for a lack of fitness.

Ice baths for me. Well without the ice. I run the bath on the coldest setting after a game.

Then fully submerge. I am in the military so I have had years of trying to figure out recovery for myself. Everything mentioned above is brilliant.

Nothing works better than an a freezing bath and just lie in it for as long as you can survive.

There is a reason that you see all the top teams with their crypo pods, and ice baths etc. It is awesome.
I can't hack that! Tried it once and got out within 10 seconds! Don't even like cold showers. When I first took up the whistle in Sheffield I used to be a member of a Bannatyne centre. After games (I always did 2 on a sunday, OA AM, u21 PM) I'd always stop there and use the sauna for recovery. I still do it now but the opening hours are less here so the option isn't always available. After spending hours in the cold and the rain the heat was bliss

I can't hack that! Tried it once and got out within 10 seconds! Don't even like cold showers. When I first took up the whistle in Sheffield I used to be a member of a Bannatyne centre. After games (I always did 2 on a sunday, OA AM, u21 PM) I'd always stop there and use the sauna for recovery. I still do it now but the opening hours are less here so the option isn't always available. After spending hours in the cold and the rain the heat was bliss
It is a bit like swimming outdoors, the initial dip is hell. But after 30 seconds, everything is fine, and you feel amazing. Comparisons to cocaine etc.

And there I was thinking “Old Navy” was a rum thing.

Conversely I found heat better than cold, although that maybe because I stretch continuously after - make a drink? Cross ankle calf stretch etc.

And yoga is my thing. I’ve integrated that into my bespoke warm up now. While other do their shuttles I’m twisting and contorting and gently stretching while getting the blood moving. I do find if if don’t do it, I know about it after.

DDP Yoga worked for me, but there are so many offers and alternatives. It’s about finding something that works best for you.

And there I was thinking “Old Navy” was a rum thing.

Conversely I found heat better than cold, although that maybe because I stretch continuously after - make a drink? Cross ankle calf stretch etc.

And yoga is my thing. I’ve integrated that into my bespoke warm up now. While other do their shuttles I’m twisting and contorting and gently stretching while getting the blood moving. I do find if if don’t do it, I know about it after.

DDP Yoga worked for me, but there are so many offers and alternatives. It’s about finding something that works best for you.
Yoga's not a bad thing. That's a good thing

Back