A&H

DOGSO

The Referee Store
When considering DOGSO, do we also need to consider the standard of football we are officiating on?

When I’m right down in the roots and weeds of grassroots football, I’m not sure I’d back many players to carry the ball a third of the length of the pitch and then beat the keeper.

Should I be factoring this in? Genuine question.

Thanks
I am going to slightly disagree with others on this. While standard (more so age) is not directly considered, it is somewhat implicit in the other given considerations. Football is just not played the same say at the very low end of standard/age.
Distance: The law doesn't say what distance. An EPL player runs 40 yards in say 5-6 seconds, an 8 year old grassroots in Div 9 will probably take 15 seconds and longer with the ball at their feet. A lot can go wrong.
Control: Yeap, there are 8 year old little Messis out there, but there are also 8 year old who are never 'in control' of the ball.
Defenders: Can have more of an impact at longer distances for lower standard/age.

So in practice, your reasoning is not because it's low standard/age, its because the 30 yard distance was too far or the likelihood of regaining possession was low to make it an obvious GSO.

Last edited:
Has there ever been (or would you ever give) a red for an incident which took place in the defending teams half?
Yes, there most definitely has been. I can distinctly remember at least one such incident from February 2016, as it involved my team, Middlesbrough (in our favour, as it happens) against Fulham.

Boro striker Jordan Rhodes was around 60 yards from goal, inside his own half when fouled. The Fulham defender was sent of for a DOGSO offence. I posted a thread about it at the time.

https://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/fulham-vs-middlesbrough-dogso-incident.7207/

I'm not sure if I would have given it or not - but it's difficult for me to be impartial given that it involved the team I've supported all my life.

Back