A&H

DOGSO Caution

Trueman1991

Level 5 Referee
Have a very quick question regarding the below :

Delaying the restart of play to show a card

Once the referee has decided to caution or send off a player, play must not be restarted until the sanction has been administered, unless the non-offending team takes a quick free kick, has a clear goal-scoring opportunity and the referee has not started the disciplinary sanction procedure. The sanction is administered at the next stoppage; if the offence was denying the opposing team an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, the player is cautioned.

Does the part in bold mean that if a player commits a DOGSO tackle and the other team decide to take a quick free kick that leads to a clear goal scoring opportunity, then the DOGSO is just a caution and not a sending off?

The Referee Store
As above. In other words (because) the goal scoring opportunity that was denied was subsequently restored so a red card is downgraded.

As a footnote, just in case if you think, what if it was a DOGSO-yellow to start with., well that can't happen. A DOGSO yellow only happens if you award a penalty and you can't take a QFK on a penalty.

Thanks both, just wanted to make sure i understood it correctly.

I do find it a bit odd as at different stages of a game a team may prefer one thing over another. In the first 10 minutes they may prefer a red card for the opposition, however in the last 10 minutes they'd probably prefer the goal scoring opportunity. However for the above we'd be expecting the players to have a good understanding of the laws.

Thanks both, just wanted to make sure i understood it correctly.

I do find it a bit odd as at different stages of a game a team may prefer one thing over another. In the first 10 minutes they may prefer a red card for the opposition, however in the last 10 minutes they'd probably prefer the goal scoring opportunity. However for the above we'd be expecting the players to have a good understanding of the laws.
What players want or prefer is largely irrelevant. The laws don't generally care what has happened before or what might happen next, except in very specific situations that are spelled out when they exist at all.
This goes triple for tactics and strategy. The most that the laws address in terms of strategy is that players should aim to score more goals than they let in, and that scoring goals must be done by playing the game (i.e. within the laws, not breaching them). Even the choice of ends/starting the match is offered at random, it could just as easily be decided at random too.

You now need to quickly decide whether they have a OGSO and whether to play on or bring it back and issue a send-off.

Interesting one would be QFK in this scenario but the pass is offside, I suspect bring it back and issue send-off as there was no OGSO?

You now need to quickly decide whether they have a OGSO and whether to play on or bring it back and issue a send-off.

Interesting one would be QFK in this scenario but the pass is offside, I suspect bring it back and issue send-off as there was no OGSO?

Tough one. And I think it is more fact dependent than just that. Did the player taking the FK make a foolish choice of who to pass to, or was it the only option that made it a OGSO?

But even if it is going to be a send off, I don't think you would bring it back--the team elected to take the FK and put the ball into play. So the restart should be for the OS.

I think this scenario, unless a goal is scored, is always going to be messy. Fortunately, it is pretty rare.

Reactions: JH

Well pointed out, and we have what 7-8 seconds maximum to make this decision.

Well we have to make a decision sooner or later, if no assistants then thats probably the maximum time to make a decision generally much less.

Well we have to make a decision sooner or later, if no assistants then thats probably the maximum time to make a decision generally much less.

You have less than that. You have to decide whether to let them take it or not. They don’t get to take it twice. But I don’t think this going to be that tough in the real world—the team with a FK in shooting range is not going to try to take it quickly unless they think they have an OGSO.

Back