A&H

DOGSO? BCFC V SWFC

The Referee Store
Why isn't it?

Without the foul, next action is a shot on goal, 1v1 with the keeper.

It pretty much is. The covering defender isn't really going to do anything. This is easily denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity

The attacker is going towards the defender because of his touch, a defender who will be between him and the keeper..

1699184217067-png.6948

The attacker is going towards the defender because of his touch, a defender who will be between him and the keeper..

1699184217067-png.6948
Look at the screenshot I posted. Defender is behind the goalkeeper

It fails the DOGSO test on 'Defenders'
But I'm against religiously sticking to the DOGSO test D,D,D,C

Disagree with your assessment here. Defender is off to the goaline regardless

Dont thInk he is edge of six yard, and the gk comes across and the defender covers the space and shapes to help the gk force the attacker outside if the foul wasnt committed so both gk and defender are not dropping to the goaline regardless. Thats denying space not dropping.

1699186102675.png

Last edited:
Dont thunk he is edge of six yard, and the gk comes across and the defender covers the space and shapes to help the gk force the attacker outside if the foul wasnt committed so both gk and defender are not dropping to the goaline regardless. Thats denying space not dropping.

View attachment 6950
You said the defender would be between the keeper striker. I very much disagree that that would have happened (because the defender is going to the goal line)

Last edited:
Distance from goal, covering Defenders, Direction of play and likelihood of maintaining or gaining Control of the ball

Thank you. My understanding was there. I am not in detention.

You said the defender would be between the keeper striker. I very much disagree that that would have happened (because the defender is going to the goal line)

At one point the defender is between the attacker and gk marginally but the big point was its not 1v1 and the keeper comes across the defender towards the attacker and his team mate adjusts position to cover the goal and they both shape to take the attacker away from goal. The defender isnt going to the goal line he is going through defensive d's and if the keeper doesnt deny space the defender does..

This was never 1v1 .

1699184217067-png.6948

Thank you. My understanding was there. I am not in detention.

At one point the defender is between the attacker and gk marginally but the big point was its not 1v1 and the keeper comes across the defender towards the attacker and his team mate adjusts position to cover the goal and they both shape to take the attacker away from goal. The defender isnt going to the goal line he is going through defensive d's and if the keeper doesnt deny space the defender does..

This was never 1v1 .

1699184217067-png.6948
The defenders thought process is to end up on the line. Look where he ends up.

Unless the attacker got the shot away and it was quite literally going directly at the defender, he's not much of a consideration. He can't use his hands, so him being on the line still leave DOGSO on the table

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105_123025_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231105_123025_YouTube.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 8
Covering defenders earlier in a move maybe. But for the "professional foul" the attacker is able to shoot between the GK and the other defender, or pass to the team-mate and cut out the GK. Seems fairly obvious GSO to me.

Wednesday fan here.

For me this was a DOGSO. There is no test for DOGSO, they are considerations and each situation can only be judged on merit. The presence of 1 defender, does not automatically take DOGSO out of the equation.

There's no questions or distance, direction, or control.

There is a question over number and location of defenders. In the scenario the player is about to shoot, the defender is moving backwards and the keeper is coming over to attempt a save.

I think you could justify a decision either way, but I personally sit on the side of DOGSO here. That's the ultimate question that has to be answered, and for me in the professional game especially I'm hard pressed to call that anything but. It's a 3 on 2, it's more than a promising attack for me and ultimately can support the red card outcome.

The defenders thought process is to end up on the line. Look where he ends up.

Unless the attacker got the shot away and it was quite literally going directly at the defender, he's not much of a consideration. He can't use his hands, so him being on the line still leave DOGSO on the table
As a very qualified coach ex semi pro defender and now well meaning trying to always do better ref the process is D deny space, D delay D dictate D depth and the defender are hitting d's because they 100% are not off to the goal line!! The keeper is denying space and attempting to dictate where he wants to the attacker to be. The defender shifts his is d's in relation to the keepers, and where the attacker is going with the ball to move the foward away from goal. He provide depth to the keeper by not dropping to the goal line and both defender and gk are trying to take the attacker away from goal.

Back