The Ref Stop

DOGSO advantage

Redref34

Level 5 Referee
Hi all

My game today.

Striker goes through with one defender, keeper cones running out .. defender trips attacked outside the penalty box but attacker stays on feet and gets shot away (probably not as good as he would have had he not been tripped)

I give free kick and went yellow after lots of thinking time. Reason.. although I hadn’t shouted advantage I had delayed on the decision so did play it (I would have shouted but it happened so quick)

Correct decision? Does this come into the DOGSO advantage part of the law therefore yellow?

Arguments from players .. so if he had gone down ref red card we would have rather had that then advantage.

Last edited:
The Ref Stop
To decide on whether it’s red or yellow, we’d need to know if the challenge was inside or outside of the PA

If the shot was affected by the challenge, then advantage hasn’t occurred and you’re correct to pull it back.

Funnily enough we had a similar conversation come up last week and it was wonderfully clarified as such;

Advantage

If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution/sending-off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution/sending-off must be issued when the ball is next out of play. However, if the offence was denying the opposing team an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour; if the offence was interfering with or stopping a promising attack, the player is not cautioned.

You can't issue a red card if you have played advantage from a potential DOGSO. (unless there is no advantage)

Funnily enough we had a similar conversation come up last week and it was wonderfully clarified as such;

Advantage

If the referee plays the advantage for an offence for which a caution/sending-off would have been issued had play been stopped, this caution/sending-off must be issued when the ball is next out of play. However, if the offence was denying the opposing team an obvious goal-scoring opportunity, the player is cautioned for unsporting behaviour; if the offence was interfering with or stopping a promising attack, the player is not cautioned.

You can't issue a red card if you have played advantage from a potential DOGSO. (unless there is no advantage)

But obviously if I have played advantage but then bought it back and given free kick, that negates the advantage and therefore red card? I pulled it back as I thought the shot was affected therefore no good advantage. So I should have gone red or not given the free kick but yellow as above.

But obviously if I have played advantage but then bought it back and given free kick, that negates the advantage and therefore red card? I pulled it back as I thought the shot was affected therefore no good advantage. So I should have gone red or not given the free kick but yellow as above.
Correct, if you pull it back and it’s DOGSO, then red. The shot doesn’t really come into it if you think it was affected by the challenge.

I think I am wrong actually (the more experienced will sweep up my mess 🤣) because the shot was impacted, the attacker lost an OGSO, it should be pulled back and a red card issued.

Had the goal been scored, or the shot hadn't been impacted, then a yellow card is expected for UB.

Back