A&H

DOGSO/Advantage/Mistaken Identity

JH

RefChat Addict
We've all been there, you know you've messed up, the players know you've messed up, the players are surrounding you telling you you've messed up (in more industrial language). Not nice, especially in front of 50,000 fans.

https://streamable.com/nmflp

DOGSO foul which the referee seemingly plays advantage, team get a shot away. Then referee brings it back, sends off the wrong player and starts with a free-kick.

Correct outcome from the choice she made (advantage) would've been caution and corner kick - agree?

The Referee Store
She has given them two bites of the cherry which you cant do, they got the shot away you then cant call it back.

Going from the dodgy PC screen ive got in work im not sure its even a foul first up.

Reactions: one
I'm not sure it's a foul. However, if it is holding or pushing then DOGSO is correct
The culprit has the same hair as the girl who gets sent off and the two of them cross paths just after the incident. So it's a painful case of mistaken identity. Advantage should not have been played, so if it was, that just adds to the calamity :blackeye:
Hope I never have a moment like that

As well pretending you have an injury and calling time on your day there.

Leaving that aside, dont play advantage there, stop game, focus on who committed the foul, send her off and restart with the fk

Ar has to help too. A mess, lapse in concentration and you could see the refs inadequecies through her outward display of pointing.

Edit, if you are calling the foul, which is debatable in itself.

Pure rabbits in headlights stuff

Mess. Total mess

Last edited:
The odd thing for me with all the commotion she never once went to talk to the assistant to get her view on it.

There waa actual a case for ref saying to wrong person, look I know I have messed up, who was it

Bit leftfield but it might have got the right outcome.

The DOGSO/advantage decision is a tough one....if the 2nd attacker was intercepted by the defenders, go back to the foul. If they took a quick shot from that position and it went nowhere I'd be happy going back to the foul - after all, it went from 1 on 1 to a shot through 3 defenders. But here, she's taken the time to control the ball and get past the defenders and found herself some space.
I think the LOTG doesn't provide great guidance here, but this is advantage - goal kick for me.
The ref got her mixed up with the first defender involved. Look, brain explosion, it can happen - though at this level in particular it shouldn't. Not convinced it was a foul myself - looked like a dive.
ARs and 4th official should have helped out the ref.

I've had mistaken identity on a RC before.....player in a group yelled at me to f*** off. Pulled him aside, RC, he appealed saying he didn't say anything.....soon as he spoke, I realised it wasn't even close to the same voice. Rescinded the card, surprisingly that didn't cause me too much trouble :p

No foul for me. Blue 19 gets back and gets good position on the ball.

Identify the player... if I'm ref I always put this in the pre-match to ARs. Help me identify the offending player (and the fouled player as it has to go in reports). And as AR I always try.

They've got comms here and you'd hope the AR would help. Honest mistake here.

I think only JH picked up on the biggest error here. Clear error in law and had she got that right the other two (no foul and mistaken identity) would have been non issue for the most part.

Law 12 pg 104
1549319776391.png

As an AR or 4thy I would want to help here and I should have been able to as the two players looked that far apart. However generally when I see a foul I take a mental picture so I can get back to it later. Given that this was not a foul I would not have taken that mental picture, and then the referee wanted help to identify someone about 10 seconds later. It would not have been as any easy task as some might think.

I think only JH picked up on the biggest error here. Clear error in law and had she got that right the other two (no foul and mistaken identity) would have been non issue for the most part.

Law 12 pg 104
View attachment 3036

But the R did not play advantage--for better or worse she decided the advantage did not ensue, which means the DOGSO would stand.

I think the 4O might have been the best person to help with the mistaken identity on this--AR may well not be clear as the AR is sprinting and getting in position for potential OS as the play develops. (Though the AR has been with the defense and at that level should be aware enough of the players to help, too.)

I never hear a whistle on the play. It would be helpful to know when it actually blew--just because the player continued on to shoot doesn't necessarily mean the whistle hadn't already blown.

I'm also curious what the players in red were surrounding the ref about--they seemed the ones most bent out of shape.

But the R did not play advantage--for better or worse she decided the advantage did not ensue, which means the DOGSO would stand.
That's a good point. However unless the referee actually blew the whistle (before the ball went out of play 5-6 seconds later), it's quite clear she did in fact play advantage, possibly a mental one only. Bringing the ball back after play had continued for that long, 3 touches by two different players, was another error IMO.

The concept of that law should appliy nonetheless.
1549321675774.png

Last edited:
Reactions: JH
That's a good point. However unless the referee actually blew the whistle (before the ball went out of play 5-6 seconds later), it's quite clear she did in fact play advantage, possibly a mental one only. Bringing the ball back after play had continued for that long, 3 touches by two different players, was another error IMO.

The concept of that law should appliy nonetheless.
View attachment 3037

Absolutely not. Bringing back the play means the advantage was never there. The R was correct in Law that if the foul was DOGSO and she came back to it then advantage was not played and the DOGSO remains. (Whether she was correct in judgment to have waited for that to develop at all once the ball went backwards and whether, once she had, she should have concluded it did not ensue are certainly subject to critique.)

Back