• No

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • Dependant on their position I.e defending centre back

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

QuaverRef

I used to be indecisive but now i'm not so sure
Level 4 Referee
If a ball is out of play and somebody shouts to you because their shoelace is undone, do you give them a few seconds to tie them before the restart or do you play on?

The Referee Store
I think the GK is a fair point--they can't really do their own laces without taking off gloves, so it is a slow restart, sure, pause for a moment. Otherwise, learn to tie your shoes . . . (OK, I'm not a complete grouch--at 10U or younger, I might pause once--and tell all of the players to check their shoe laces.)

No.

I used to, but two assessors told me not to quite early on.

Really? Huh. I generally allow it (OA). I have refused though when it’s clearly time wasting or the 2nd or 3rd time from same player. If
It’s a goal kick tha’s gone over the fence and someone starts doing their lace and needs a bit more time to finish I allow it. Nothing crazy like a free kick or time wasting though.

By the way - could there be a player safety issue if they ask and we say no??

Really? Huh. I generally allow it (OA). I have refused though when it’s clearly time wasting or the 2nd or 3rd time from same player. If
It’s a goal kick tha’s gone over the fence and someone starts doing their lace and needs a bit more time to finish I allow it. Nothing crazy like a free kick or time wasting though.

Perhaps they should be leaving the field of play to correct their equipment.....

This exactly. It's a non-issue and you'll only cause yourself grief if you flat out refuse. If they're starting to take the piss then of course you can warn the captain (or manager at youth) that you're not going to hold play up for them again, but even if they are deliberately timewasting, most teams are smart enough not to try the same trick over and over again!

Within reason yes, but that depends on the player not taking the mick and whether I think they're just doing it to stop the opposition taking a quick throw etc

No, certainly not at OA. Some will say you could allow it if the game is 0-0 and it clearly isn't time wasting, but then you have a consistency problem if you deny a request from someone from the other team because they are 1-0 up late in the second half (you let him do it earlier ref).

Keepers are different because of the obvious gloves problem.

Ever had it where a boot comes off and player just carries on till the next break in play!!! Happened quite a few times to me!!! Quite funny to watch...

Had the same player whose boot came off twice on Saturday, no foul on either occasion but he didn't see it that way. Maybe contact for the first but the second time he was running as he hadn't put it back on properly.

In one of my earliest games as a ref a player's bootlace was flapping and an opponent made an attempt at a tackle and stood on the opponent's flapping bootlace causing the player to fall and pull a muscle. Since then, if I spot a playing who's bootlaces are flapping around, I stop the game and tell him to tie it up. My first priority is the safety of the player(s).

Depends on the game with me. If it's a good natured affair then nobodies bothered about stopping for shoelaces so I allow it. If it's been a more difficult game then I'm more wary of time wasting etc so I won't stop the game.

Had this one on here before.

My answer now is as it was then :

generally, at any age, if specifically requested during a temporary stoppage in play, I'll allow time for a player to do up their laces. I base this on the fact that if my laces were to come undone (which they never do by the way ;) :p ) I'd expect them to wait for me whilst I did them up. Common courtesy if you like. If it's becoming repetitive then my attitude is different
:)

In lower level, non heated games, yes.

Last Sunday, I had a futsal game one level down from national FA. Ball out for a kick in. I double beeped to get a player to tie his shoelaces. It was over in a few seconds. Calm game. He was thankful I spotted it as some kind of safety risk inside.
Told my assessor after I would have got to him to leave the field if it had been one league higher.

Weirder, a week before, I had a player's shin pad accidentally come out. He got it in his hand and then received the ball and played the ball before I could communicate with him. That was tricky. It wasn't attacking so once he'd played the ball I shouted at him to fix it. I think we were just within the law...

Generally no. But exceptions for goalkeepers, for very young age groups, if the start/restart is kick off and the game is being played in good spirit.
Funnily enough I've found it's also the O35 players who make an issue out of it if I don't!

I used to refuse to, and especially if one team wants to carry on I won't....but if the players are happy to wait, I'm not going to insist on the restart - if they start to wait, then I'll go along and indicate the delay. No sense going against the players here.
In lower level, non heated games, yes.

Last Sunday, I had a futsal game one level down from national FA. Ball out for a kick in. I double beeped to get a player to tie his shoelaces. It was over in a few seconds. Calm game. He was thankful I spotted it as some kind of safety risk inside.
Told my assessor after I would have got to him to leave the field if it had been one league higher.

Weirder, a week before, I had a player's shin pad accidentally come out. He got it in his hand and then received the ball and played the ball before I could communicate with him. That was tricky. It wasn't attacking so once he'd played the ball I shouted at him to fix it. I think we were just within the law...

Honestly, he could run and score a goal and it's fine - as long as he's not involved in any challenge for the ball (and 'involved in a challenge' in this context would basically mean the moment an opponent gets within 5 yards, I'd ping the player with the missing shinpad for PIADM - you want to prevent the challenge here)

Back