A&H

Do something ref! Don't just stand there!

SM

The avuncular one
Red vs white. Niggly game and after about 90 minutes the red striker and white defender let their verbals turn into head to head (actual head to head) screaming at each other.

I am about 10 yards from them with a side in view of their antics and just start blowing the whistle. Very loudly. Players near me move away in fear of their ears. Shout from the sideline: "Do something ref! Don't just stand there!"

Keep blowing the whistle and watching what is going on. Call both players over in turn, one lad on an earlier caution so he gets his second and a red. The other gets a caution both for AA. Nobody happy that the players got cautioned despite somehow wanting and apparently urging me to wade in like a boxing ref seconds earlier.

You just can't win sometimes.

The Referee Store
No one happy but what if you gave them a 'bollocking' and the player already on a caution scored in stoppage time, or 'took one for the team' to stop a good attack. They'd of quickly said he shouldn't of been on the pitch.

You have to love these kind of situations don't you?

Where no matter what happens people go out of their way to find something to moan about.

I had one the other week, foul by defender just outside the box, bit firm but first offence and decent game up until then so decide to give the culprit a talking to.

Stop the game and tell the lad stood where the kick would end up being taken to wait for the whistle, which he acknowledges.During the time I'm talking to defender keeper is on edge of his 18 yard box bollocking a defender for an earlier fluffed clearance, and I can see the taker eyeing up a quick chip into an empty net.

Blow whistle full blast just as taker strikes the ball which missed anyway and shouted 'I said wait for the whistle.It will be retaken.'

'Oh ref, but he missed, can't we just play on advantage?'

No. No we can't. I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if it went in.

'Oh ref, but he missed, can't we just play on advantage?'

No. No we can't. I'm sure you wouldn't be saying that if it went in.
Why not play advantage? That's the whole point of advantage. If the attacked wants to be a clever so-and-so, despite a clear warning from you, and then messes up his attempt - more fool him! His fault, his idioticness and the other team's benefit!

Surely you can't play an advantage when the ball wasn't in play to start with?

I take your point, was a tricky situation at the time with 3 or 4 things all going on at the same time to watch while talking to the original offender, seemed the best thing to to keep control of the situation.

Surely you can't play an advantage when the ball wasn't in play to start with?

I take your point, was a tricky situation at the time with 3 or 4 things all going on at the same time to watch while talking to the original offender, seemed the best thing to to keep control of the situation.
In law, I don't honestly know. But I tell you what, if you did it once - it'd never happen again!

There cannot be advantage on an improper restart. See for example a foul throw. It goes straight to opponent, kicks it into empty goal. Allow the goal?

Nope. Throw-in, as the game hasn't restarted.

Same here. You have informed everyone that the game is to restart on your signal (ie, the whistle). The game hasn't restarted until you've given that signal. Thus, no "advantage" possible.

Slightly different though as a foul throw is just that - the ball is off FOP and needs to entered back on legally.
It is legal to take a FK without a whistle (eg. quick FK)

As I said, I might be completely wrong in law, but it was a suggestion

I think for the example that regal gives then you'd make him re-take as you'd clearly said for him to wait for the whistle. If, however, team A have a free kick on the half way line and player X scuffs it and it goes straight to player J on team B then you allow the game to continue.

That's how I read the situation anyway.

Stop the game and tell the lad stood where the kick would end up being taken to wait for the whistle, which he acknowledges.During the time I'm talking to defender keeper is on edge of his 18 yard box bollocking a defender for an earlier fluffed clearance, and I can see the taker eyeing up a quick chip into an empty net.

If you've told them to wait for the whistle then it's a retake AND a YC for delaying the restart of play. It sounds like the chap you told may not have been the taker - it's always worthwhile making sure everyone standing around the ball knows, and it's courteous to give the keeper a shout too.

Alternatively here, as they missed and they took it as you were blowing I'd be tempted to leave it be - don't give them a 2nd chance to score a goal!!!

Ive given 24 penalties this season so far!! Some of them tried this, made them re-take no matter what the outcome as 'the bible' says they have to wait for the whistle :)

24 penalties?

How many games have you done. The last penalty I gave was at the end of October I think.

65 games what can I say haha

If this was my game then both would be walking. Head to Head is a sending off offence and a spell on the sidelines normally works well! Also means next time I appear to do a fixture for either side I have sides that are better behaved

Back