A&H

DIY VAR

markref

A referee has been suspended for using a spectator’s mobile phone to disallow a goal in the Egyptian second division! The home side claimed a handball with the score at 2-1. None of the officials saw anything so he checked footage on a mobile before disallowing the goal. The home team then scored again and won the game 3-1 after 15 minutes stoppage time. The referee needed police protection to get off the pitch at the end!

The Referee Store
I'm slightly surprised that there hasn't been more of this, at least at grass roots level. When VAR was introduced I thought there might be a trend for amateur VAR officials to be approaching referees with phone footage. Has anyone ever experienced this?

I'm slightly surprised that there hasn't been more of this, at least at grass roots level. When VAR was introduced I thought there might be a trend for amateur VAR officials to be approaching referees with phone footage. Has anyone ever experienced this?
Yep. Just ignored him and carried on

I've had someone show me video footage post-match twice - first time was when I managed to twist my ankle on thin air so more for comedy purposes, second was as you mention, to dispute a decision. I chose to politely watch it and then just said I was happy with the decision I made at the time based on what I could see on the pitch. At that point, it's too late to change anything so all you can do it politely get past it.

If thy tried to come onto the pitch to show me footage during the game or try to call me over to the sidelines, they'd be told to go away very abruptly. No reason to indulge that at all.

I actually touch on this when I teach the intro ref course for AYSO--momma bear's iphone is not a VAR tool!

Back