A&H

Distracting an opponent

cdsman

I seem to have had a number of incidents recently where players shout just as an opponent is about to shoot... usually just a loud noise, rather than anything specific, but could be "miss" or worse...
I've not had any complaint from the attackers, but I have had a word with the player in passing telling them not to do it or they risk being cautioned for USB.
Should I be cautioning immediately for this - or is it the same as shouting 'mine' - where it really does have to be distracting to the opponent? I guess I just find it annoying!

The Referee Store
Should I be cautioning immediately for this - or is it the same as shouting 'mine' - where it really does have to be distracting to the opponent? I guess I just find it annoying!
I'd say if it is loud and if the player claims to have been distracted, then you've got a pretty good case for it. Don't forget though, you can't just let him take the shot and then caution the opponent when it goes out, you would also have to award an IDFK.

At higher levels coaches and players know this is an offence, so give it.

At lower levels, first time in a grassroots game with no effect - warn so everyone can hear. But blatant and affects a shot/situation - tough one, but fine to give it.

If you really are having this problem a lot, tell the coaches/captains before the game, then if it happens you won't feel conflicted (or have any sympathy!)

If the opponent is not distracted then a word on the run or at next stoppage is fine. But if the opponent is distracted and it negatively impact him, the right thing to do is caution. You don't have to do it immediately though. If you can play advantage, do so and caution at the next stoppage.

you can't just let him take the shot and then caution the opponent when it goes out, you would also have to award an IDFK.
I don't know where you get this from. Why not? Let's say he miskicks a pass due to distraction but the ball goes to another team mate. You can play advantage and caution when the ball next goes out. You don't have to give an IDFK.
I suspect you are confusing this with the fact that you can't just give an IDFK for it. If you do give an IDFK, you must also caution.

If the opponent is not distracted then a word on the run or at next stoppage is fine. But if the opponent is distracted and it negatively impact him, the right thing to do is caution. You don't have to do it immediately though. If you can play advantage, do so and caution at the next stoppage.

I don't know where you get this from. Why not? Let's say he miskicks a pass due to distraction but the ball goes to another team mate. You can play advantage and caution when the ball next goes out. You don't have to give an IDFK.
I suspect you are confusing this with the fact that you can't just give an IDFK for it. If you do give an IDFK, you must also caution.
The OP was a shot which the player was distracted whilst taking. You cannot allow the shot (that goes straight out of play, was my thinking), then come back and caution, it doesn't make sense? How could he be distracted but also have the advantage of a distracted shot?

"I was distracted ref!"
"Yes, I'll caution him"
"What about the free-kick?"
"No, you had your shot even though I am recognising you had an unfair distraction"

Advantage in other scenarios, yes.

Tough sell for DOGSO surely?
A tough sell, yes - and one I've never seen or heard of being given but technically possible. This was actually the subject of a previous discussion where an 'official ruling' from the IFAB was requested and the reply was that verbally distracting an opponent could indeed constitute a DOGSO offence. The actual word from the source was that, in a situation where the DOGSO criteria were otherwise met and the offence were one of verbal distraction it would be ''right to dismiss the player as he was guilty of an offence punishable by a free kick which is the requirement of Law.''

Firsr off a great job in handling it and asking for help. I would have cautioned for sure, but again I was not there. You did a great job none the less but I personally do not tolerate any of this kind of behavior. especially it was a shot on goal. The game is so fast and I know this and we all do. Thanks for the post. Aloha

Scenario I've come across is the ball has come in from a corner and falls to the attacker. A defender shouts "rahhh" to put them off. No idea who it was due to the number of bodies in there.

Shot was blocked and I know I should have given idfk but didn't as I had no idea who I would caution? One appeal from attacker but everyone just seemed to think it was allowed.

Scenario I've come across is the ball has come in from a corner and falls to the attacker. A defender shouts "rahhh" to put them off. No idea who it was due to the number of bodies in there.

Shot was blocked and I know I should have given idfk but didn't as I had no idea who I would caution? One appeal from attacker but everyone just seemed to think it was allowed.

You're right that you're stuck, as you can't give the IFK without a caution. About all you can do is a loud 'It's going to be a card if I hear that again!" or something similar....

Don't quite agree with the option of doing nothing. Unfair to the attacking team and the defending team is getting away with an offence.
Blow the whistle, give IFK and caution your best guess defender (not one who is on a yellow already unless you are sure). If the culprit fesses up then change the caution player.

This is not too dissimilar to when I see a shirt pull but not sure who it was. I'm giving the pen either way. I guess it's a bit easier in this case as you don't have to caution.

Don't quite agree with the option of doing nothing. Unfair to the attacking team and the defending team is getting away with an offence.
Blow the whistle, give IFK and caution your best guess defender (not one who is on a yellow already unless you are sure). If the culprit fesses up then change the caution player.
I don't agree with that at all.. You can't caution a player when you have no reason to think they've done something.
And if that player then cops a 2nd yellow? You've changed the match (arguably any yellow influences the game). You'll lose all credibility too

This is not too dissimilar to when I see a shirt pull but not sure who it was. I'm giving the pen either way. I guess it's a bit easier in this case as you don't have to caution.
Sooo....similar in every way except the bit that's actually being debated? ;-)

Reactions: JH
Don't get me wrong. I don't like it either. For me it's about the lesser of the two evils.

You are also very likely changing the match by not punishing an offence in the PA with a good chance of scoring a goal.

One option benefits the offending team and the other the offended team.

You're right that you're stuck, as you can't give the IFK without a caution. About all you can do is a loud 'It's going to be a card if I hear that again!" or something similar....
Of course you can........blow give the idfk, and if you really have to get the lemon out, pick a defender and caution....simples.
Damn sight more correct than doing nothing......

Reactions: one
Of course you can........blow give the idfk, and if you really have to get the lemon out, pick a defender and caution....simples.
Damn sight more correct than doing nothing......
I fail to see how booking a player for literally doing nothing more than wearing an opposition jersey is 'correct' by any stretch

Im in favor of Mintyref. I would book my best guess and investigate. Where Im from 90 percent or more of the times the player would fess up. It's a classic case of when in Rome do as the Romans, here in Hawaii I am almost certain we call the game different than the UK but we manage it well.

Back