A&H

Dissent

Ryanj91

At what point do you class players having a go dissent?

What does a player need to do before you decide to caution them/sin bin them? I would assume its down to individual tolerance?

Cheers :)

The Referee Store
Dissent by action .. anything that's immediately obvious to many other players, coaches, spectators (obviously kicking the ball away, slamming ball on ground, sarcastic clapping etc). Important to be strong on these as otherwise you send a message that's it's acceptable

Verbal dissent ... all comes down to volume, level of aggression and words chosen. Aggressive and obvious disagreement said loudly so many can hear it, easy yellow. Same words said calmly and quietly for your ears only could well be responded to by either banter in return or just a quiet word.

Basically, the greater the risk it will undermine your ongoing match control, the more forcibly it needs to be dealt with. But never ignore it.

as above, if its clear to everybody else that a player is, dissenting, then its probably dissent

Easy confused for frustration, fine line between the two...

if its that annoying persistent comments or occasional arm shrug, or it seems like its always him in your ear, a phrase I like, is, " number 6 you are drawing attention to yourself, please stop now before I have to act" (or words as close as)

I don't take as many dissent cards as I maybe should, rightly or wrongly unless its a total stick on that needs to be sanctioned, again, rightly or wrongly, I rather get the occasional shout than miss a SFP tackle, DOGSO or so on..

LOL Shef. I am the same. Dissent for me is one of my top issues. I throw cards on em if they are known offenders which we all know who is who. One player in particular, always dissents and swears, always get sent off for it every year, Player gets tons of warning pre-game and during the game. In High School here, swearing it a caution. He said ****, I showed him the yellow. Later in the game, he blew up on my AR and I sent him packing. These days I have zero tolerance for this. As the ref admin on our tiny rock I also recruit a lot of new referees. If they choose to blow up on a new referee I send them packing as well if it is allowed. I even sent a notorious parent of above player off when I really could only caution hin. Did I step beyond my legal duties, damn right I did, Again we are a very small rock here and I don't give a ****. They could always fire me if they wanted to. Aloha

Agree with Russell - for me, disagreeing with a decision is fine and I'll indulge a player who has a genuine disagreement if the keep it muted and civil. Dissent comes in when the player isn't just disagreeing with you, but is doing so in a manner that is obvious to other players/spectators. Dissent by action is usually pretty much straight to the pocket, dissent by words will vary massively depending on what is said, the match temperature and if the player responds positively to me telling him to calm down.

Top tip I got is to act on the first dissent, doesn’t necessarily mean a card, could be one player, or low level with a few players.

At the first low level dissent, get the player, give warning, cut the grass - makes it much easier for you to act next time, either by cutting someone off before they cross the line or when they do something worse.

The latest advice I've been given on dealing with dissent is to deal with it by not being there. >_>

I guess that sounds stupid but... Basically, give the decision, run to where the drop zone will be. That way the only way to get dissent is if they follow you and that makes it a pretty easy caution.

Agree with Russell - for me, disagreeing with a decision is fine and I'll indulge a player who has a genuine disagreement if the keep it muted and civil.

Yeah, I usually don't mind if a player is respectful and just chatting about a decision. Interestingly, been told to stop allowing this though as it's a "means to an end" in wearing the referee down. Which, I suppose is a fair point.

The latest advice I've been given on dealing with dissent is to deal with it by not being there. >_>

I guess that sounds stupid but... Basically, give the decision, run to where the drop zone will be. That way the only way to get dissent is if they follow you and that makes it a pretty easy caution.

Yeah, I usually don't mind if a player is respectful and just chatting about a decision. Interestingly, been told to stop allowing this though as it's a "means to an end" in wearing the referee down. Which, I suppose is a fair point.
Agreed, one way to avert dissent is to run away from it! By the time the player passes you next, they'll be steaming less

Some players are clever though, they say things intentionally backwards to screw your brain......Like.....'Do you think you've got that right ref? for example...... If they said 'Ref, You got that wrong ref!!!'its the same think just said without malice!! Subconsciously I'm sure the nicer respectful players get more decisions than the bloke screaming every 30 seconds in your ear!!!

Some players are clever though, they say things intentionally backwards to screw your brain......Like.....'Do you think you've got that right ref? for example...... If they said 'Ref, You got that wrong ref!!!'its the same think just said without malice!! Subconsciously I'm sure the nicer respectful players get more decisions than the bloke screaming every 30 seconds in your ear!!!
Well two things....first, I'd much rather have my dissent come in the form of quiet mind games over aggressive screaming! I've got no problem encouraging that kind of atmosphere on pitches I'm in the middle of. And secondly, I don't know how much you can do about that really. If you start carding for polite disagreement, you're going to run out of players pretty quickly.

Us observers have this problem, we can't say something like "you dealt with the dissent by the Home 2 well by speaking to him with the captain", as dissent is required by law to be a caution. So we have to change it to something like "you dealt well with the Home 2 verbally disagreeing with your decision by speaking to him with the captain"

That's a great idea, I'll keep that in my pocket for next time I'm on the pitch, nice one!

Us observers have this problem, we can't say something like "you dealt with the dissent by the Home 2 well by speaking to him with the captain", as dissent is required by law to be a caution. So we have to change it to something like "you dealt well with the Home 2 verbally disagreeing with your decision by speaking to him with the captain"

I'm planning on applying for promotion to level 6 next season, would you recommend squashing dissent during observed games or just treating it like normal?

Last edited:
"Squashing" is a word that can be interpreted incorrectly in this context. If not applied correctly (on the soft or the strong side) it could lead to more dissent and loss of match control.

I'd like to say caution all dissent (Public disagreement, verbal and/or physical)) but that is inconsistent with how most referees manage it and can cause more issues than it solves.

The golden rule for dissent is "Never ignore dissent". You don't have to caution it every time but deal with it every time. When to caution is very much dependant on context and the specific case. It take common sense and experience to know when that fine line has been crossed an you have to go for the card.

The golden rule for dissent is "Never ignore dissent". You don't have to caution it every time but deal with it every time. When to caution is very much dependant on context and the specific case. It take common sense and experience to know when that fine line has been crossed an you have to go for the card.

I'd add on a suggestion here for those who are becoming more experienced. It is not uncommon, as referees gain seasoning, to dissent or ignore inappropriate behavior from the touchline because "it's not enough to bother me." But that's the wrong standard. Letting things build because I can handle it doesn't treat the game properly--those of us who gain experience need to set the proper standards and address those who violate them not for ourselves but for the Game and for our less experienced brethren who have to ref that team next week.

...how you act on the first dissent is key
So i was AR at the weekend for the first time in a while
The ref had a zero tolerance approach to dissent. Sure enough after KO, he did indeed have a zero tolerance approach to dissent, issuing the first C2 very early on
Home team leading 3-2 : strong penalty shout for away team, last minute : appeal turned down : attacker booked for simulation
So, zero tolerance approach to dissent and cheating. One might expect this ref to be my hero, but we all manage games differently and it turns out I'm not as penal as at least one referee out there...
Not sure he cared much for the good old 'Club Marks'

So i was AR at the weekend for the first time in a while
The ref had a zero tolerance approach to dissent. Sure enough after KO, he did indeed have a zero tolerance approach to dissent, issuing the first C2 very early on
Home team leading 3-2 : strong penalty shout for away team, last minute : appeal turned down : attacker booked for simulation
So, zero tolerance approach to dissent and cheating. One might expect this ref to be my hero, but we all manage games differently and it turns out I'm not as penal as at least one referee out there...
Not sure he cared much for the good old 'Club Marks'
It wasn't me, I've retired.......good to hear someone else taking up a 'stuff the club marks's attitude......

Back