A&H

Open Age Dissent with no caution / Crowd encroachment.

RobOda

RefChat Addict
Level 3 Referee
My game was postponed today, so I went scouting to watch other referees and see some scenarios from the sideline instead.

There were two interesting incidents I was seeing today that I wanted to clarify, an easy one and a tricky one.

1. Twice in the game, the referee blew the whistle and gave an indirect free-kick for dissent. Neither occasion drew a caution.

I'm pretty sure I'm right that this is incorrect, an indirect f/k for dissent must be punished with a caution is that correct?

2. The home team's spectators, coaches and subs were walking onto the pitch, and I would say almost up to the line of the penalty area (i'm not exaggerating). Sometimes when the ball would come that way, the spectators would retreat, and be on the touch-line and they would attempt to kick/head the ball before it goes over.

I'm certain that it's drop ball to the team last in possession for this as it would be interference if they make contact yes?

But, am I right that if a goal is scored by either team, we can't penalise this encroachment of spectators/coaches/subs unless they interfere with play? I bring it up because on the IFAB app, it specifically mentions interference but then has a whole page for extra persons on the field, I'm assuming it's to be read once interference occurs?

If this happened in one of my games, I would have dealt with it more firmly, but from what I saw today the referee didn't seem too fussed and I only caught two fairly weak requests for the spectators to clear the sides of the pitch. There were definitely one or two very close calls of players crashing into the fans/subs/team officials as they were barely over the line when play went that side of the pitch. (This particular law is a weak spot of mine, but then it seldom comes up... :oops:)

Do you think its fair to put this on the home team manager to deal with his spectators at grassroots level?

The Referee Store
I'm pretty sure I'm right that this is incorrect, an indirect f/k for dissent must be punished with a caution is that correct?
Correct
I'm certain that it's drop ball to the team last in possession for this as it would be interference if they make contact yes?
If it's someone other than those listed on the teamsheet then they are an outside agent, so dropped ball for whichever team lasted touched the ball. If it's a substitute then caution for entering FoP without permission and a DFK where they interfere. If it's a team official then it's a red card and DFK.
But, am I right that if a goal is scored by either team, we can't penalise this encroachment of spectators/coaches/subs unless they interfere with play? I bring it up because on the IFAB app, it specifically mentions interference but then has a whole page for extra persons on the field, I'm assuming it's to be read once interference occurs?
If there is a player, sub or team official of the team who scored on the FoP when the goal was scored, you disallow the goal and give a DFK from where they were (even if they haven't interfered). If it's someone from the team who conceded or an outside agent then you allow the goal.
Do you think its fair to put this on the home team manager to deal with his spectators at grassroots level?
Yes definitely - if they can't even keep them off the pitch, how are they going to deal with a spectator who decides to come pick a fight with the referee?!

1. If it's dissent then it's has to be a caution and restart is IFK. LL verbally offences have a IFK restart but also have a sanction attached to them.

2. Inexcusable for the referee not to take action. A couple of warnings to ground officials, or home team officials if no ground officials. I would make it clear I would abandon in they don't control it and would follow through. It not only makes difficult to control the game if interference, it could also be a safety issue. I don't just want them behind the line, but a reasonable distance away (at least 2m). Correct with dropped ball if spectator.
And again if we are talking spectators, if no interference you allow the goal. This is clear in law.

Absolutely.

Most league rules state that the managers of the teams are responsible for their own line which includes spectators. I don't even engage with spectators or players not on the FOP, I just speak to the manager and remind him of his responsibility to manage his line

Back