A&H

Dissent or Foul&Abusive

lesbobly

… Saturday morning question #2
Consistency….

How do you deal with what I would call “low level foul language” - eg player swearing at themselves for miskicking a ball? Not directed at anyone else?

Similar as above, but directed towards a team mate …

I understand a stepped approach, but I thinking the final sanction .. if indeed any …

Not exactly same as above but how about a player that gives verbal dissent with what SOME consider low level everyday language “ref that’s crap” dissent or? “Ref that’s ****?” (Is crap same as ****? :))… - I’m trying to get an idea of what other refs hear, see, react to … to find out what level of consistency there is

I do understand that much of this can also be in the context of the game …

The Referee Store
… Saturday morning question #2
Consistency….

How do you deal with what I would call “low level foul language” - eg player swearing at themselves for miskicking a ball? Not directed at anyone else?

Similar as above, but directed towards a team mate …

I understand a stepped approach, but I thinking the final sanction .. if indeed any …

Not exactly same as above but how about a player that gives verbal dissent with what SOME consider low level everyday language “ref that’s crap” dissent or? “Ref that’s ****?” (Is crap same as ****? :))… - I’m trying to get an idea of what other refs hear, see, react to … to find out what level of consistency there is

I do understand that much of this can also be in the context of the game …
Consistency will never happen, as each referee has an idea of what is acceptable and what is not.
A player using O/I/A language to himself/herself is best dealt with by a word in passing, and the player will then usually apologise and say "frustration"
In the other examples you have given, a warning about low-level dissent is good practice so the sin bin for more dissent later comes as no surprise.
Anything aimed at you personally needs to be snuffed out.
Context is important, e. g. a game in a public park with a children's playground adjacent against a game in a military establishment, but early intervention is recommended. That means that if a later incident becomes a yellow or red card, the "He told you, you idiot" response blames the offender, not the referee.
You will gauge the level locally and set your standards from the "off"
Good luck

Consistency will never happen, as each referee has an idea of what is acceptable and what is not.
A player using O/I/A language to himself/herself is best dealt with by a word in passing, and the player will then usually apologise and say "frustration"
In the other examples you have given, a warning about low-level dissent is good practice so the sin bin for more dissent later comes as no surprise.
Anything aimed at you personally needs to be snuffed out.
Context is important, e. g. a game in a public park with a children's playground adjacent against a game in a military establishment, but early intervention is recommended. That means that if a later incident becomes a yellow or red card, the "He told you, you idiot" response blames the offender, not the referee.
You will gauge the level locally and set your standards from the "off"
Good luck
Perfect - exactly as I would do … thank you … backs up my own thinking (and past experiences)

I try to go with the general rule of:

If they bemoan a decision immediately after but calms down, I might give the benefit of the doubt.

If they have time to think and calm down and carry on moaning - they are likely getting a 10 minute rest

If they say you are a… it’s a card generally.

I try to go with the general rule of:

If they bemoan a decision immediately after but calms down, I might give the benefit of the doubt.

If they have time to think and calm down and carry on moaning - they are likely getting a 10 minute rest

If they say you are a… it’s a card generally.
Obviously it’s all within context. As I have shocking hearing - if I hear it, it’s been said loudly enough to be dealt with!

Think about credibility. If you caution for a player swearing at himself in frustration you are going to surprise everyone, similar for low level swearing at a team mate.

Think about credibility. If you caution for a player swearing at himself in frustration you are going to surprise everyone, similar for low level swearing at a team mate.
I agree; I was more trying to find out what others do - if different to my own thinking/approach - I tend to make it known as I jog past that I don’t expect “that” language - “I understand frustration but …” - for me it’s all about context / for a youth game I’m much tighter and strict … (not that it happened so often), as opposed to my exposure at say Bordon Army Camp where “industrial” language was prevalent … and then it’s more about the context the language is used in … strength, tone, directed at … and even who is on the touchline watching - families…

I don't really have much interest in trying to police what players say "to themselves". Dissent must be directed at a match official and OFFINABUS doesn't feel like it makes sense to apply to persistent offences - "The first 4 times you called yourself a **** were fine, but the 5th time I found offensive so I'm sending you off". Neither a red or yellow card logically work for me, and it feels toothless to try and "warn" a player about something that will never happen.

Having said that, I'll note things like this and keep a closer eye on them. Someone who uses industrial language at themselves is relatively likely to also direct it at others - at which point, it does become actionable.

Back