A&H

Dissent before kick off

Tovadee

Level 6 Referee
Had an incident before my game on Sunday and wondered if I handled/reported it correctly.
While doing my pitch inspection, one of the away team players said "great, we've got this clown again". I took him to one side and with his manager told him that his comment has earned him a caution. No card shown.
I made him aware that any other cautionable offence in the match would lead to a red card. To be fair, when the game kicked off, he was not a problem.
Did I handle this correctly? I put it through as a caution for dissent on the whole game system and am beginning to doubt myself.
Any advice appreciated

The Referee Store
Well done, proactive and dealt with efficiently.

If you didn't have your cards in your pocket at the time, perhaps as well as telling the player as you did, call the player towards you to show the card before kick off so everybody else on the pitch is aware he's sat on a caution before kick off.

Just prevents any confusion if he gets a second during the game.

Also did you tell the managers before kick off?

His manager because he has a right to know, but also the opposing manager because it sets the tone.

Well done.

did you have a big red nose and a squirty flower last time?

I joke! great bit of officiating there, like Regal, I would have (told him I was doing it first) but shown him the yellow at the kick off to make everyone aware, also letting BOTH managers know prior.

one that I bet isn't picked up often, but one that can help referees in the future!

I did the same 2 seasons ago for a goalkeeper who wanted to blame me for not knowing whether changing rooms would be locked (very loudly). He picked up a second caution during the game and was dismissed. May have been reported for misconduct for his post dismissal antics as well.

I did the same 2 seasons ago for a goalkeeper who wanted to blame me for not knowing whether changing rooms would be locked (very loudly). He picked up a second caution during the game and was dismissed. May have been reported for misconduct for his post dismissal antics as well.

How did you conduct it Brian?

Had an incident before my game on Sunday and wondered if I handled/reported it correctly.
While doing my pitch inspection, one of the away team players said "great, we've got this clown again". I took him to one side and with his manager told him that his comment has earned him a caution. No card shown.
I made him aware that any other cautionable offence in the match would lead to a red card. To be fair, when the game kicked off, he was not a problem.
Did I handle this correctly? I put it through as a caution for dissent on the whole game system and am beginning to doubt myself.
Any advice appreciated
Excellent refereeing.

How did you conduct it Brian?
I called the manager/club secretary over along with the player and told them both it was unacceptable. I then showed the yellow card after noting the player's name. I warned him not to do anything wrong in the game. Eventually (around 89 minutes later) he couldn't keep his comments to himself but tried playing the old "I was talking to myself" card.

Few questions and some break offs from them for confirmation!

1. Am I right in thinking that if this was 'dismissable' then the player is still allowed to be replaced by a name substitute (?) is the named substitute allowed to be replaced on the bench?

2. What if this is before Team Sheets are handed in?

3. At what point does this become live? In the car park as you arrive? Once in the changing room? Once changed?

Few questions and some break offs from them for confirmation!

1. Am I right in thinking that if this was 'dismissable' then the player is still allowed to be replaced by a name substitute (?) is the named substitute allowed to be replaced on the bench?

2. What if this is before Team Sheets are handed in?

3. At what point does this become live? In the car park as you arrive? Once in the changing room? Once changed?

If it is before the team sheet has been handed in then the team can still field a full 11 and a full bench. The player dismissed can not play.

If it is after the team sheet has been handed in and the player in question was in the starting 11 then they can be replaced by a named substitute however the substitute can not be replaced. If the player in question was on the bench then they can not be replaced

What if it's only cautionable and he's then not named? Should we be filing misconduct reports for 'minor' infractions?

What if it's only cautionable and he's then not named? Should we be filing misconduct reports for 'minor' infractions?

That's a good question. I don't actually know the answer to that but I imagine they would then be treated as if they were a coach so would fill in a misconduct report

Back