A&H

Dissent after the final whistle

Egg man

Level 5 Referee
Reflection back on my OA game on the weekend.

The game was played by two very inconsistent teams and frustrated players in theirs and team mates footballing ability, making it a challenging game to referee.

The game was very stop start with alot of long balls (I was running more than the players). CAR assistance giving a number of offsides from the long balls ( hard to tell if they were correct or not). And a few penalties calls only one given ( which was missed). This did led to players getting frustrated and showing dissent during the game which I dealt with talking to player and captain when needed before using the sin bin.

But what got to me most was the lack of respect from one player at the final whistle. As players shock my hand. I clear heard him say " I'm not shaking your hand today ref you were SHi!".

Looking back should I of off Red carded him or do I send in a misconduct report?

I don't mine players not agreeing with my decisions or having an opinion on my performance but it was the lack of respect shown at the final whistle that got to me.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
you can still card at that point so show the red (or yellow) and report as such

If you were still on the field of play it's a red card.
If left the f. o. p., a report of misconduct after the game.
Hope that helps.
At the time I was still on the FOP. I didn't want to escalate the situation as the game had gone. But came away disappointed at the lack of respect for grassroots referees.

At the time I was still on the FOP. I didn't want to escalate the situation as the game had gone. But came away disappointed at the lack of respect for grassroots referees.
As his comment was addressed to you directly a red card would have been an immediate reminder of what's acceptable - and he may keep his mouth shut next time.

IMHO, part of the reason refs don't get respect is players get away with being disrespectful. This is unlikely the first time that player has made a comment like that after the game. If he'd had to miss a game because the last ref had shown him the red, perhaps he wouldn't have said it to you. (Please don't hear this as bashing you; I'm not, we all have things we'd like to go back and do differently.)

I especially think it is important for the more experienced ref to take these actions. As caretakers of the Game, we should be setting proper boundaries so that the players, coaches, parents, etc. know what the boundaries are and may behave more appropriately for our less experienced colleagues.

IMHO, part of the reason refs don't get respect is players get away with being disrespectful. This is unlikely the first time that player has made a comment like that after the game. If he'd had to miss a game because the last ref had shown him the red, perhaps he wouldn't have said it to you. (Please don't hear this as bashing you; I'm not, we all have things we'd like to go back and do differently.)

I especially think it is important for the more experienced ref to take these actions. As caretakers of the Game, we should be setting proper boundaries so that the players, coaches, parents, etc. know what the boundaries are and may behave more appropriately for our less experienced colleagues.
Problem is they probably wouldn't say it to the more experienced referees. At best they are going to get a smart come back (e.g. "err, I wasn't the one that scored an own goal mate"), at worst they are getting cautioned or even sent off. Unfortunately most players are able to sniff out an inexperienced referee, and they will play on it.

For me it’s a red, I’m not fussed with the whens and whereabouts of someone behaving like that towards me. But it’s hard to know how to react the first time you hear something like that at the end of the game and it comes down to where you draw the line between a yellow (dissent or USB) and OFFINABUS

I’ve known refs who make a habit at grassroots levels of getting packed up etc after a match on the pitch just in case someone who decides to have a pop post-game can be dismissed with a red

Anecdote: If you caution for it as dissent, remember to add an explanatory note in the Whole Game System that you didn’t send to the sin bin.

Anecdote: If you caution for it as dissent, remember to add an explanatory note in the Whole Game System that you didn’t send to the sin bin.
No sin bin has its own option and a box pops up for you to say why.

I had a similar situation on Sunday. 2-1 in the last minute and a penalty awarded to the home team, which made it 3-1. Blew for full time straight after the restart.
As players were shaking my hand one away player told me I was "**** and lost the plot." I didn't find it met the criteria for Offinabus for me as it was completely borne out of frustration. So I cautioned him. This resulted in lots of comments that I couldn't do that as the game had ended. Eventually the manager walked the players away, but as they did the player who had been cautioned yelled "you can go and get sucked off by them now." So I called him back, and showed him a red card for Offinabus. I can take frustration but you get personal its goodbye.

He took great delight in telling me how he would appeal as I wasn't allowed to card after the final whistle. I did allow a wry chuckle as I left and do hope he enjoys his suspension.

I had a similar situation on Sunday. 2-1 in the last minute and a penalty awarded to the home team, which made it 3-1. Blew for full time straight after the restart.
As players were shaking my hand one away player told me I was "**** and lost the plot." I didn't find it met the criteria for Offinabus for me as it was completely borne out of frustration. So I cautioned him. This resulted in lots of comments that I couldn't do that as the game had ended. Eventually the manager walked the players away, but as they did the player who had been cautioned yelled "you can go and get sucked off by them now." So I called him back, and showed him a red card for Offinabus. I can take frustration but you get personal its goodbye.

He took great delight in telling me how he would appeal as I wasn't allowed to card after the final whistle. I did allow a wry chuckle as I left and do hope he enjoys his suspension.
Nicely done. I wonder if he would have taken the offer of lets ignore the YC & RC and upgrade to an Extraordinary Misconduct report....They are much more expensive and longer bans....

Back