A&H

Dismissing a coach

smair

Level 7 Referee
Last Saturday's U13s game was going well until midway through 2nd half the Reds coach took offence at me not seeing an elbow on the back of his attacker. Play carried on and inevitably Yellows scored. Reds keeper smacked his head off the post so on comes the coach to treat him however he seems just as concerned with telling me I'm awful as he is concerned with his player's well-being.

After the keeper is okay to go he stays on the pitch for several more seconds dropping f-bombs all over the place. I reminded him I'm here to let these lads play the game just as you are. His tirades don't stop. After the game he walks towards me with an apparently apologetic expression so I thought he was going to be big and shake hands but no, he points at me and several more f-offs.

After the game the other coaches apologised for his behaviour and it was clear in hindsight Reds would have been ably coached without him. I sort of regret not exercising this right to remove him and put it down to the fact I haven't yet removed a coach from the vicinity of the FoP before and it just never sprung to mind. What are your opinions? If this wasn't enough, what would constitute removal?

The Referee Store
Clearly sounds like he should have gone. But move on from not doing that.

I would be interested how people would do this as I've never had to. The logistics of keeping him away almost seems impossible.

In your case I'd certainly be notifying the league secretary about his behaviour at the very least.

misconduct report, absolutely - given that you're 16, this is child abuse, (apologies for saying so :))

if reported that guy is toast but you are doing every other child ref a dis-service if you haven't reported him to county - if you haven't, do it tonight!

some people want to avoid this situation by removing the younger refs, the only real option is to remove people like this guy from football altogether

Having said that

if it was a park pitch, you can't 'remove him' from the vicinity of the f.o.p. as it's a public place

but warn then maybe warn again then tell him that you will be reporting him for misconduct

remove steps one and two if you think the situation merits it

you also have options to stop, suspend or abandon games and a stepped approach can also be used

Last edited:
if it was a park pitch, you can't 'remove him' from the vicinity of the f.o.p. as it's a public place

You are correct @haywain - but you can just stop the game and refuse to restart until the offender has left. If that doesn't do it and pressure from his club/team does not make him decide to go, abandon.

+1 for a misconduct report. If not sure how, get in contact with a more senior referee colleague (being a local referee association member is great for this sort of thing! I your not a member yet then look to get joined up) and make sure this idiot gets to answer to the county fa for his actions.

Just not sure where I'd start as there were two similar looking coaches: identical black tracksuits, rather pale, in their 50's with grey hair and glasses. If you stood them side by side I could tell but I'm aware misconduct hearings don't happen a la The Usual Suspects. Team lines got sent away the Monday after the match so I couldn't look there for details, and they were the away team so I don't have contact details. If anyone here could give us advice I'd appreciate it.

smair, your report could read something like this...

During the course of the game between xxxxx FC and yyyyy FC on ddmmyyyy I was subjected to offensive, insulting and abusive comments from one of the coaches from yyyy fc. He said to me (insert some of the comments here). As a result of feeling intimidated by his words I did not feel I could take action against this person, as I felt it would only make the situation worse. I did not manage to get his name. After the game he continued to use offensive, insulting and abusive language towards me.

smair, your report could read something like this...

During the course of the game between xxxxx FC and yyyyy FC on ddmmyyyy I was subjected to offensive, insulting and abusive comments from one of the coaches from yyyy fc. He said to me (insert some of the comments here). As a result of feeling intimidated by his words I did not feel I could take action against this person, as I felt it would only make the situation worse. I did not manage to get his name. After the game he continued to use offensive, insulting and abusive language towards me.
Think I will send something of this nature, although I may be quizzed as to why it's only now I've made a report, days after I sent away team lines. Could it be of any benefit to say "I have decided to act upon advice from refereeing colleagues" to explain this or would the timing of it be irrelevant?

Think I will send something of this nature, although I may be quizzed as to why it's only now I've made a report, days after I sent away team lines. Could it be of any benefit to say "I have decided to act upon advice from refereeing colleagues" to explain this or would the timing of it be irrelevant?
No your report should only contain information about what you saw, heard and felt during the game not days after

Are there any specific rules on this, either local/league/fa rules because I have heard this before and I don't understand the logic behind it?

If anyone can explain it to me that would be great :)

The way I see it is that the local council often own the park and so for a team to play on it, they have to notify the council that they are doing so. Once the match starts the LOTG apply as they would if it was on private land so why can't you dismiss someone from the vicinity of the FOP?

Are there any specific rules on this, either local/league/fa rules because I have heard this before and I don't understand the logic behind it?

If anyone can explain it to me that would be great :)

The way I see it is that the local council often own the park and so for a team to play on it, they have to notify the council that they are doing so. Once the match starts the LOTG apply as they would if it was on private land so why can't you dismiss someone from the vicinity of the FOP?
We get told up in Scotland tell the coach to sit in his car or stand outside/other side of the pavilion/any convenient place, if he doesn't then threaten nice and loudly that the match will get abandoned if he refuses to shift.

Back