A&H

Direct FK inside defenders area

MJW89

Level 4 Referee
Today in my game i awarded a DFK to the defending team within their own area. One of the defenders has taken the kick and passed it to the keeper (also within his own penalty area). I know the law states the ball is in play when it leaves the penalty area however does this only apply for opposition interference or should the free kick have been retaken?

The Referee Store
Should have been retaken, I may be mistaken but aren't opposition players supposed to leave the area for a free kick as well?

Can anybody explain why? This is not a trivia question. I am just curious as to why the ball has to leave the penalty area.

The grief when you call it says from a playing and spectating point of view an unneccessary law really so I wonder what the actual rationale is behind that law.

Can anybody explain why? This is not a trivia question. I am just curious as to why the ball has to leave the penalty area.

The grief when you call it says from a playing and spectating point of view an unneccessary law really so I wonder what the actual rationale is behind that law.
I am going to have a guess, albeit unlikely. Its to encourage playing the ball from the back for a more attractive game.

We have a 25 meter rule here for all games below U14. All opponents must remain 25 meters away from the goal line util the ball has touched by a second defender for goal kicks or defensive free kicks from PA.

I think the clue is in the minutes of the 1937 IFAB meeting where this amendment was introduced, where we find the following:

IFAB1937.jpgIt think it's apparent from this that the IFAB wanted to stop the practice of the defender just tapping the ball to the goalkeeper for them to launch it upfield, which obviously was legal if the ball didn't have to leave the penalty area to be in play (and at a time long before the 'deliberate kick to the keeper' law was ever dreamt of).

Thanks @Peter Grove that would certainly make sense. As you can imagine not many of todays referees have read minutes of a pre ww2 meeting.

I wonder what purpose the law serves today. I get the whole opponent retreating for GK etc. But not sure I understand why the ball has to leave the penalty area.

Reactions: one
The other portion is the suggestion that an opponent intercepting/receiving the ball inside the PA from a goalkick or free kick by the defenders puts them astoundingly close to the goal, and that's just not really all that fair to the defending team.

Reactions: one
The other portion is the suggestion that an opponent intercepting/receiving the ball inside the PA from a goalkick or free kick by the defenders puts them astoundingly close to the goal, and that's just not really all that fair to the defending team.
Yeh I agree with the whole opponents retreating.
However if a team wishes to take the risk of playing about at the back from a gk or fk, which, alot of teams do from ball in play scenarios, then they suffer consequences when it goes wrong.

Yeh I agree with the whole opponents retreating.
However if a team wishes to take the risk of playing about at the back from a gk or fk, which, alot of teams do from ball in play scenarios, then they suffer consequences when it goes wrong.

Good thought but you could extend that to the Goal Kick - why does THAT have to leave the area before being touched by another player?

Good thought but you could extend that to the Goal Kick - why does THAT have to leave the area before being touched by another player?

The two that I have always wondered about relate to not being offside from a Goal Kick or a Throw In. It seems inconsistent with all other aspects of the game.

Gk is an easy one. If everyone from the opposition stood in gk takers half they'd have to play it out and would be immediately under pressure. Even a long gK would have to land in first half or runs would have to be timed well. Throw ins. Again the same..just stand in line with thrower and they can't throw forward without a well timed run.

Gk is an easy one. If everyone from the opposition stood in gk takers half they'd have to play it out and would be immediately under pressure. Even a long gK would have to land in first half or runs would have to be timed well. Throw ins. Again the same..just stand in line with thrower and they can't throw forward without a well timed run.

Thanks - never considered that, I'll chalk that off my "I wonder why" list....

That's a very good point. I'd like to see a team try and defend a FK just inside their half with this logic though - all stand level with the ball and have faith that your defence is faster than their attack!

Gk is an easy one. If everyone from the opposition stood in gk takers half they'd have to play it out and would be immediately under pressure. Even a long gK would have to land in first half or runs would have to be timed well.
That might be a rationale if the IFAB were looking to introduce this as a new amendment (or were trying to 're-justify' it) based on current playing habits but I'm pretty sure it's not the reason it was originally brought in.

Again, I think you need to go back to the history of the laws and look at the situation when this law was first put in (which was in 1863 as part of the original laws). At the time, goal kicks were not taken from the six yard area (there wasn't one) they were taken from the end line and you could be offside anywhere on the field, not just in the opponent's half. This meant that if you could be offside in such a situation, no player from the team taking the kick could be on the field without being in an offside position, which would have been a tad restrictive.

Back