A&H

Different coloured shorts/socks...

Tovadee

Level 6 Referee
Sunday League OA, Home team play in all blue. Away team kit is red top, white shorts, with white socks. Two away players are wearing red shorts/and or socks. Would you let them play or make them change?

Me personally, As it doesn't clash with the other teams kit, I'd let them play.

If you did let them play, would you get a 'telling off' from an assessor?

Thoughts please

The Referee Store
If there are a couple of subs that are in white/white then they change. No spares then call off and report reason.

How quick can you get a set here? before half time? - get them in and change as soon as poss, make comment back to league.

Worst case, as no clash then let them play, and comments back to league / reflect it in marks for "administration before / after the game"

From top option to bottom option will result in comments from any assessor from :

"technically correct"

to

"common sense - well applied"

and finally

"please explain your reasons"

Suppose there is an element of what game is it and who is watching, but that should not affect your decision, but are points of consideration.

Depending on how your league views the laws really. I know of one league that as long as the shirts are the same colour, Liverpool and Man Utd on same pitch playing together, that's ok. It means that the guys are playing football.
I know of another that insist on correct under garments. Much greater respect for officials on this league but it is hard work to ref on. It can be like a Saturday fixture.
Personally I'm ok with different shorts but shirts and socks need to be matching. I'd allow play but put a note on the match report form or drop an e-mail to the league secretary.

Certain laws should only apply at certain levels in the pyramid and in certain competitions. For the rest, commonsense should be the order of the day

Imho

If I tried to apply this law in the local league I referee in, I would be calling off a 1/3 of all games!

Let common sense rule! Teams don't have massive amounts of money so this is going to happen from time to time. Locally the advice is, as long as there is no shirt clash, let them play.

If I tried to apply this law in the local league I referee in, I would be calling off a 1/3 of all games!

Let common sense rule! Teams don't have massive amounts of money so this is going to happen from time to time. Locally the advice is, as long as there is no shirt clash, let them play.
But that's the law anyway @Supermonkey' there is nothing for the ref to do, there is nothing in the LOTG that says the shorts and socks must be the same within the team, or the shirts for that matter.

True it just says the teams must wear colours which distinguish them from each other and also the referee and assistants.

But you are not going to allow multicoloured teams just because they are all in different colours from the other team. That is taking it to ridiculous extremes I know. While I would overlook shorts and stockings I would certainly not allow a player to have a different colour jersey to his team mates. Would be very confusing.

True it just says the teams must wear colours which distinguish them from each other and also the referee and assistants.

But you are not going to allow multicoloured teams just because they are all in different colours from the other team. That is taking it to ridiculous extremes I know. While I would overlook shorts and stockings I would certainly not allow a player to have a different colour jersey to his team mates. Would be very confusing.
But surely there is nothing you could do about the shirt, cause the player has done nothing wrong and so doesn't have to change?

They have to distinguish themselves from the other team, this implies it is clear which team they are on, does it not?

Loving your persistence, hull, five times and counting. Referees can be a stubborn bunch at times. A new collective noun, perhaps, 'a reluctance of referees' ;)

Back