A&H

Did Martin Atkinson get it wrong?

Yampy

RefChat Addict
I've been away this weekend and not seen any match highlights but one incident caught my eye this morning.
Did Martin Atkinson make a mistake in the Norwich v. Bournemouth game when Wes Hoolahan scored the 2nd Norwich goal? As far as I can tell from reading, Hoolahan scored while holding his shinpad in his hand and the only picture I've seen indicates he isn't wearing a shinguard on his left leg. Shouldn't Atkinson have disallowed the goal and cautioned the player too? Incidentally, Hoolahan had already been cautioned in the first half.

The Referee Store
I noticed that.
I think the correct call was made. You don't caution unless it is a repeat offence of incorrect equipment (as far as I can remember), therefore the correct thing to do is allow the goal, then get Hoolihan to leave the FOP to correct his equipment (at a guess).
Good spot though...

surely he should have stopped play and awarded an indirect freekick when Hoolihan touched the ball? Playing with incorrect equipment. That goal was awarded incorrectly. Correct me if Im wrong though.

surely he should have stopped play and awarded an indirect freekick when Hoolihan touched the ball? Playing with incorrect equipment. That goal was awarded incorrectly. Correct me if Im wrong though.
See below...Law 4

In the event of any infringement of this Law:
play need not be stopped
• the player at fault is instructed by the referee to leave the field of play to correct his equipment
• the player leaves the field of play when the ball next ceases to be in play, unless he has already corrected his equipment
• any player required to leave the field of play to correct his equipment must not re-enter without the referee’s permission
• the referee checks that the player’s equipment is correct before allowing him to re-enter the field of play
• the player is only allowed to re-enter the field of play when the ball is out of play

I would say the referee got it right

"Play need not be stopped"

"Player leaves the filed when ball is next not in play"

Only cautioned if re enters fop without ref's permission, is what law says.

See below...Law 4

In the event of any infringement of this Law:
play need not be stopped
• the player at fault is instructed by the referee to leave the field of play to correct his equipment
• the player leaves the field of play when the ball next ceases to be in play, unless he has already corrected his equipment
• any player required to leave the field of play to correct his equipment must not re-enter without the referee’s permission
• the referee checks that the player’s equipment is correct before allowing him to re-enter the field of play
• the player is only allowed to re-enter the field of play when the ball is out of play

I would say the referee got it right

Beat me to it!

Back