A&H

Deliberate play for offside

What you've both written makes sense to most (including me) but my point was, that's not what the extract above from the
book says.

A&H International
What you've both written makes sense to most (including me) but my point was, that's not what the extract above from the
book says.
I'm struggling with that. It clearly says deliberate play and the definition of play is:
"Action by a player which makes contact with the ball"

I'm struggling with that. It clearly says deliberate play and the definition of play is:
"Action by a player which makes contact with the ball"
Agreed. But for the purposes of this thread and the extract quoted in connection with it, this:

Deliberate play’ is when a player has control of the ball with the possibility of:

• passing the ball to a team-mate; or
  • gaining possession of the ball; or
  • clearing the ball (e.g. by kicking or heading it).

.... doesn't say that.

That's all I'm saying. Don't shoot the messenger!! ;) :p

The passage above the previous passage I quoted says:
A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.

If the defender doesn't make contact then the player in the offside position isn't receiving the ball from that player, thus rendering the rest irrelevant, it would revert to whether he was offside from the original pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kes
@Kes I think you are reading that section in isolation and overthinking the whole new section.

Deliberate play is still a play right? If the defender doesn't touch the ball, in the context of the OP we shouldn't be reading past the second word in the section you quoted as it won't apply if there is no 'play' by the defender.

The passage above the previous passage I quoted says:

If the defender doesn't make contact then the player in the offside position isn't receiving the ball from that player, thus rendering the rest irrelevant, it would revert to whether he was offside from the original pass.
Yeah, well I didn't read that cos you never quoted it and anyway I just wanted to be a pedant cos I ain't been one on here for ages but I'm over it now. :p :angel:

@Kes I think you are reading that section in isolation and overthinking the whole new section.

Deliberate play is still a play right? If the defender doesn't touch the ball, in the context of the OP we shouldn't be reading past the second word in the section you quoted as it won't apply if there is no 'play' by the defender.
Agreed. (See above).
Unlike yourself and some others, I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Laws (that's not intended as offensive or sarcastic btw) and generally need to scour the IFAB app I have in order to find the correct answer for some of the less common events that occur during a match. Especially if observing!!

I'll step away from this thread now and confine myself to picking you (and JamesL) up for your spelling and grammar only in future ... ;):D

Reactions: one
Agreed. (See above).
Unlike yourself and some others, I don't have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Laws (that's not intended as offensive or sarcastic btw) and generally need to scour the IFAB app I have in order to find the correct answer for some of the less common events that occur during a match. Especially if observing!!

I'll step away from this thread now and confine myself to picking you (and JamesL) up for your spelling and grammar only in future ... ;):D
Plese continu to poast on topicks two so I can pick yew up in return for beying rong in lore.

Yeah, well I didn't read that cos you never quoted it and anyway I just wanted to be a pedant cos I ain't been one on here for ages but I'm over it now. :p :angel:
My late Grandma used to say ''ain't' ain't grammar and it never are been'.

Edit: She was wrong, of course, but she still said it...

Back