A&H

Delaying the Restart of play.

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict
A player standing over a free kick, attacking team tries to take the free kick and ball hits the player standing there.

What is your decision ?

The Referee Store
Depends if he blocked it or if it was kicked at him

Blocked, caution for failing to retire distance, especially if I've shouted at him to back off.

Kicked at him, not interested.

Be careful with that approach though, some players will see it as inconsistency, so be prepared to manage it before it happens ideally.

Most of the time the defender moves to stand over then ball to prevent a quick free kick. If you believe the attacker genuinely wanted to take a quick one then caution the defender.

You can be that superstar referee who thinks they are managing it by telling him to ‘move back’, saying it was ‘on the whistle anyway’, ‘wrong place, ‘rolling ball’, ‘having a word’ etc.
The defender has acheived his objective in stopping the QFK and mugged you and the game off.

In rare instances the player was already in that position and hasn’t committed any offence if the ball is kicked at him. You could play on if you want to liven up the game, expectation of the players is probably a retake.

Depends if he blocked it or if it was kicked at him

Blocked, caution for failing to retire distance, especially if I've shouted at him to back off.

Kicked at him, not interested.

Be careful with that approach though, some players will see it as inconsistency, so be prepared to manage it before it happens ideally.
This, except that if it is kicked at him in some cases (like there is a team mate behind him as an intended receiver) then still a caution for not respecting distance. The defender doesn't belong there.

A couple of things.
If the restart has been taken, you can't caution for delaying the restart. It has to be for not respecting distance. And you can't retake without cautioning. The latter is very common, we had one in PL recently where the ref talked to both players before retake.

Last edited:
This, except that if it is kicked at him in some cases (like there is a team mate behind him as an intended receiver) then still a caution for not respecting distance. The defender doesn't belong there.

A couple of things.
If the restart has been taken, you can't caution for delaying the restart. It has to be for not respecting distance. And you can't retake without cautioning. The latter is very common, we had one in PL recently where the ref talked to both players before retake.

Well, obviously you CAN retake without cautioning then!;)

Had one of these yesterday (I was on the line).

Was right in front of me. Free kick given, both players stood up, turned at looked at ref to see who got the free kick. Defensive direction. Attacker turned back round to defender to look at him (for whatever reason, maybe to read his next move (QFK or to even mark him in case keeper took it) and with that the defender took QFK. Attacker slightly moves his foot to the ball and stops the ball moving more than a yard.

Personally, I think the defender deliberately played it at him to get him booked. Ref saw differently and cautioned for failing to respect the distance.
I think the ref was going to caution the next "anything" for that team as he had yet to caution anyone yet had seen fit to caution 4 from the home side and felt it was probably getting out of hand.

For me, I take into consideration whether a player genuinely had a chance to get away from it. In this instance, he thought he may have won the free kick (could've gone either way), looked at the ref and saw he didn't and then turned to face play. At this point the defender kicked ball at him. There was nothing to suggest that the defender was aiming for any team mate and his sole intention was to get the attacker cautioned.

Yeah, you need to give the defender a fair chance to start retreating - but you said he moved his foot though? That's usually the difference between blocking a kick and having the kick moved into him.

One thing I hate is when you have the defender who isn't retreating, but also isn't in the way - and the attacker turns and kicks it into that player for no reason other than to get the card. I tend to not intervene in those ones :p

Back