A&H

Defender PIADM in Goal Area??

Yes. I understand that PIADM is likely not to be black and white and some judgement on who is in most danger of getting hurt needs to be assessed quickly. Same with lowering the head of one player while another player raises his foot to kick the ball - whose more at fault?

Kes, it also makes sense that the longer the player is on the ground the more risk he'll get injured as feet are flying everywhere. Thanks for that.

The Referee Store
Not to derail your thread but I had a similar incident on the weekend (also an aussie ref).
A ball was played across the goal line and was maybe a foot from the line and a defender coming towards it tried to play the ball and ended up in a really awkward spot where the only direction he could play it was into his own net.
An attacker was coming in behind him to play it into the goal for a tap-in, the defender then laid down and over the ball to stop him. The attacker thankfully pulled out because he would have kicked him in the back of the neck.
I awarded an IDFK, if it wasn't the 88th minute and 9-1 I could have considered DOGSO as well.

That's very interesting. It's all starting to make sense now that it can be pretty dangerous for a player to do that sort of thing. I can just imagine an agro attacker coming in with an axe to grind and big smile on his face.

So the whole team was on the goal line and the IDFK was from the 6 yard box? I bet you're glad it wasn't a draw - I could see it being quite tense and a few false starts from the defenders.

Yeah exactly.
Defenders across the goal line, they played it back and the attacker ended up having a shocker and completely missed the shot on goal.

Everyone ended up having a laugh about it.

if it wasn't the 88th minute and 9-1 I could have considered DOGSO as well
Neither of which have anything to do with considerations for DOGSO but get your point. Just making sure it is not misinterpreted.

So the whole team was on the goal line and the IDFK was from the 6 yard box? I bet you're glad it wasn't a draw - I could see it being quite tense and a few false starts from the defenders.
Two details for anyone who gets this rare occurrence:
  • The IFK must be from the line on the goal area parallel to the goal line (I saw a professional referee get this wrong and have the IFK from the perpendicular part--he also mis-located the wall as a result)
  • Defenders on the goal line must be between the goal posts (so if the IFK is from the corner of the goal area, a defender can't line up outside the goal to be closer to try to challenge after a pass--defenders have to be either 10 yards away or on the goal line between the posts)

Defenders on the goal line must be between the goal posts (so if the IFK is from the corner of the goal area, a defender can't line up outside the goal to be closer to try to challenge after a pass--defenders have to be either 10 yards away or on the goal line between the posts)
Glad you had the example in () to indicate that the defenders on the goal line don't have to be between the goal posts depending on the position of the ball. The way you put it before () could be misinterpreted. The laws have surprisingly put it more concise and simpler:

"opponents must remain at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball, unless they are on their own goal line between the goalposts"

Back