A&H

Dealing with the abuse of match officials....

Matthew

RefChat Addict
I know there's a lot of discussion on the forum about the sanctioning of players for abuse of referees, so thought I'd share this. This is taken from a message sent by my Uncle, the President of a soccer league and city association in the US.

"This is a problem that starts with the local FAs not supporting the referees. In [ ] we have strict rules in place to protect our referees which they have told us they really appreciate. In any serious case reported, the player is immediately suspended from all games until a hearing can be scheduled. Here are our pertinent rules :

1. Foul or abusive language toward a Referee, Association officer or employee not including a threat of violence: Two (2) match suspension and a $25 fine.

2. Foul or abusive language toward a Referee or Association officer or employee which includes a threat of violence, or: Three (3) match suspension and a $50.00 fine. Mandatory immediate suspension from all matches, pending appeal hearing.

3. Spitting at a Match Official, an Association officer or employee: Four (4) match suspension and a $75 fine.

4. Assault or attempted assault of a Match Official, an Association officer or employee involving an intent to cause physical injury (excluding spitting): One (1) year suspension and a $100.00 fine. Mandatory immediate suspension from all matches, pending appeal hearing.

5. Assault or attempted assault of a Match Official, an Association officer or employee not involving an intent to cause physical injury (excluding spitting): Six-month suspension and a $50.00 fine. Mandatory immediate suspension from all matches, pending appeal hearing."

[NOTE: EDITED TO REMOVE NAME OF LEAGUE/ASSOCIATION]

This is a set in stone policy that is strictly adhered to. It's also worth noting that there is strict monitoring of referees too, with failure to report cautions being cause for suspension. I've spoken to referees myself who are involved with the association, and they are very happy with the support they receive.

The Referee Store
Personally, I don't think a 4 match suspension for spitting is sufficient. I would place it in the same bracket as point 5.

These sanctions are in line with those issued by County FAs. The thing is, REFEREES HAVE TO REPORT THE INCIDENT.

I know of at least one referee with a high social media profile who announced he was giving up refereeing because of the lack of support after he was assaulted. He described in detail on forums what had happened to him. He posted it on Twitter and Facebook.

He didn't send in a report. In fact there's a possibility HE will be charged for failing to fulfil his obligations.

So if anything happens on the field or off it, report it.

Last edited:
Back