A&H

Deaf ref

DaveMac

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Spoke to my mate today who plays at a decent level of Sunday league.

He said they had a deaf ref at the weekend and said it was the best referee they'd ever had. He said after a while the players caught on that he couldn't hear them moaning about every decision so they all stopped. He said it was a really good game.

I pointed out that perhaps not having a go at the referee all game is the way forward. His response was "where's the fun in that!?" :rolleyes:

Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
That's the trick, isn't it Frank? You don't have to be deaf to choose not to hear it.

Absolutely - makes the game much more enjoyable too when you can tune out the moans. I find that as long as I'm concentrating on my game, position, next phase, my communication, etc. I really don't hear much that's going on around me.

One of my assistants said to me at half-time last week, "you should've booked that guy for calling you a useless *****". I genuinely didn't hear anything - but apparently it was just after an injury as I restarted play and waved the player back on so I was probably making sure I did that (but presumably not quickly enough for one of the coaches/subs/whoever it was?). As I said to the assistant, if I'd heard it and known who said/shouted it I'd have taken action - as it was, I didn't!

Back