A&H

Danny Welbeck Penalty

drahc

L3 Referee. EFL Assistant. Tutor. Observer. Coach.
Level 3 Referee
Observer/Tutor
Watching MOTD - just seen Danny Welbeck being pulled down for the UTD penalty.

No card shown to the offender... Discuss!

The Referee Store
I thought possible red?! Maybe being harsh, but if you look at it, to me that is an obvious goal scoring opportunity?

Not a penalty. There's not enough contact there for Welbeck to go down, he's already off balance before he's touched - although not a dive as he's clearly making an effort to still get the ball. But not a penalty, for me. Minimal contact.

A very weird one indeed. Watched it back and just sat there like "Hmmmmm, that could have been red" but none of the players said anything or complained!

Not a penalty. There's not enough contact there for Welbeck to go down, he's already off balance before he's touched - although not a dive as he's clearly making an effort to still get the ball. But not a penalty, for me. Minimal contact.

The question is, not if it is a penalty or not (that's matter of opinion which I really cannot be bothered to get into!) - but in fact, now the penalty has been given, what is Lee Probert going to do...

The question is, not if it is a penalty or not (that's matter of opinion which I really cannot be bothered to get into!) - but in fact, now the penalty has been given, what is Lee Probert going to do...

You're spot on. For me, although I don't think it was a penalty, I don't know how that's not DOGSO if it's considered to be a foul and should have been sent off.

I thought possible red?! Maybe being harsh, but if you look at it, to me that is an obvious goal scoring opportunity?

I think it's quite possibly the clearest DOGSO you will ever see. 7 yards out, about to shoot. Nailed on red

I would say that there is enough contact, if you're off balance and someone is holding your hand and pulling it back you would go backwards, which is what Welbeck did.

Funnily enough, in my game yesterday, game into the final seconds of added time at the end of the second half

Away team, 5-1 down, are on the attack, ball crossed into the penalty area, striker gets ahead of defender, 7 or 8 yards out, keeper coming to the edge of the six yard box.

little nudge in the back from the defender, player goes down, penalty

however, i didn't sent defender off for dogso

penalty kick was going to be the last kick of the match. striker who had been brought down said 'don't send him off, ref'

not influenced by striker's comment, possibly influenced by fact that i was going to blow for full-time after penalty kick.

tried to sell it to myself, briefly, that the fact that the keeper was only a yard or so away from the striker made it not an obvious goal-scoring opportunity

not too many protests though one or two players called for a red card and another player queried it as we were going off

as someone said on another thread, the players went home, i went home and the world kept on turning

Funnily enough, in my game yesterday, game into the final seconds of added time at the end of the second half

Away team, 5-1 down, are on the attack, ball crossed into the penalty area, striker gets ahead of defender, 7 or 8 yards out, keeper coming to the edge of the six yard box.

little nudge in the back from the defender, player goes down, penalty

however, i didn't sent defender off for dogso

penalty kick was going to be the last kick of the match. striker who had been brought down said 'don't send him off, ref'

not influenced by striker's comment, possibly influenced by fact that i was going to blow for full-time after penalty kick.

tried to sell it to myself, briefly, that the fact that the keeper was only a yard or so away from the striker made it not an obvious goal-scoring opportunity

not too many protests though one or two players called for a red card and another player queried it as we were going off

as someone said on another thread, the players went home, i went home and the world kept on turning

I can see why you didn't send off, but in the law is does explicitly say that you should not consider the circumstances of the match in cases of DOGSO. For me you have to send off regardless of the fact that you are about to blow for full time.

I can see why you didn't send off, but in the law is does explicitly say that you should not consider the circumstances of the match in cases of DOGSO. For me you have to send off regardless of the fact that you are about to blow for full time.

Or you could apply common sense like @haywain did and realise that there us absolutely no advantage to be gained by the other team if the player is sent off and he'll just be lumbered with a fine for a moment of desperation to try and keep his team in the match.

Or you could apply common sense like @haywain did and realise that there us absolutely no advantage to be gained by the other team if the player is sent off and he'll just be lumbered with a fine for a moment of desperation to try and keep his team in the match.
I appreciate that often common sense can be applied, however when the law explicitly states that circumstances cannot be taken into consideration.

Firstly, it WAS a penalty, Welbeck has clearly been impeded contact or not, the argument of 'not enough contact' does nothing for me, or the game I'm afraid, as you can foul someone without making contact at all. How much contact is needed anyway?

The question for the card is - was it careless, reckless or excessive?

For me it was a careless challenge, therefore a PK and no more.

Was it DOGSO?
Definitely not, as a United fan, who has watched Welbeck since he was a kid, there was no way he would get to the ball and keep the angle to score with what would have been his left foot. Ball moving away from goal and getting away from him, he would have controlled it near the goal line or within a couple of yards at best, by which time there would have been a couple of defenders plus GK between him and the goal.

Can't remember if the defender was cautioned or not, but I think a YC would have been harsh, an RC would just have been wrong.

Back