A&H

Dangerous play against team mate

happy whistler

Level 7 Referee
panic within penalty area. ball bounces and two defenders go for same ball, even though no attackers in vicinity. one tries to head it and other launches off ground and performs bicycle kick dangerously close to team mates head. If it had been opponent I would have penalised.
I did not give anything but afterwards thought I probably should have given Indirect free kick.Game was level and ended as a draw and if winning goal had arisen from indirect free kick in penalty area I am sure I would have had comments about decision.
What should I have done here

The Referee Store
If not being assessed .. then sure all would agree that it wasn't the least bit dangerous :). Quiet word with 'Mr Bicycle' in passing ....

panic within penalty area. ball bounces and two defenders go for same ball, even though no attackers in vicinity. one tries to head it and other launches off ground and performs bicycle kick dangerously close to team mates head. If it had been opponent I would have penalised.
I did not give anything but afterwards thought I probably should have given Indirect free kick.Game was level and ended as a draw and if winning goal had arisen from indirect free kick in penalty area I am sure I would have had comments about decision.
What should I have done here
Done exactly what you did do ... purely for match control purposes. All hell would have broken loose if you had given that IDFK

Match control has absolutely nothing to do with it - PIADM is a foul, thus requires an opponent to be involved. There's no possible way to award an IFK here. Correct decision was made.

Playing in a dangerous manner is defined as any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player himself). It is committed with an opponent nearby and prevents the opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

So correct decision

I'm sure this came up at a ref society meeting and the consensus was an IDFK.
I questioned this and the majority said it is still an IDFK.

I think many must have mistaken dangerous play for himself and dangerous play for a teammate (which is not a thing)

Going back to the OP, you could if you wished, conceivably make the case that the player conducting the bicycle kick was PIADM to himself ... kicking a team mate in the head probably wouldn't do either player much good ... :)

Back