A&H

Cup semi final kicked off

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
Had a cup semi final and observation yesterday. It’s my first time doing this league, I took the fixture because I’m short on observations and my RDO offered me an observer on this date if I could find a game.

It doesn’t start well, before KO I get a call to say both my NARs have been pulled off to cover middles in the league. This is against the comp rules but the league chairman and both managers are happy to have the game on and I, perhaps naively, agreed.

The two teams have history but the first half is quiet, one yellow for reckless tackle.

Second half I KNOW there’s going to come and incident that kicks it off and it comes in the 79th minute. Ball cleared from a home team corner, I’m sprinting to try and get to see the drop zone but I’m unsighted as it lands and the home team shout for a handball which I just cannot see. The away attacker turns his man, is through and scores.

I give the goal, somewhat annoyed I’ve been too far back, and the home captain decides to shout “what the f* are you doing” and boot the ball. He’s already been warned in the first half for chirping in my ear so he’s sin binned.

Five minutes later another Home player feels he is fouled and calls me a “f***ing c**t”, he thinks he’s been quiet enough but he hasn’t so he’s off. Immediately after a home player says “f*** you” twice and he goes.

So home team now have 8 players, and the man in the bin is only going to be back with 5 minutes to go.

Game ends, handshakes from home side but pretty muted understandably.

As I’m walking over to my changing room I have to pass the fans and as I approach I get the “****ing disgrace” etc etc

Not really obsessing over the observers score, was just happy to get out of there tbh

The Referee Store
Had a cup semi final and observation yesterday. It’s my first time doing this league, I took the fixture because I’m short on observations and my RDO offered me an observer on this date if I could find a game.

It doesn’t start well, before KO I get a call to say both my NARs have been pulled off to cover middles in the league. This is against the comp rules but the league chairman and both managers are happy to have the game on and I, perhaps naively, agreed.

The two teams have history but the first half is quiet, one yellow for reckless tackle.

Second half I KNOW there’s going to come and incident that kicks it off and it comes in the 79th minute. Ball cleared from a home team corner, I’m sprinting to try and get to see the drop zone but I’m unsighted as it lands and the home team shout for a handball which I just cannot see. The away attacker turns his man, is through and scores.

I give the goal, somewhat annoyed I’ve been too far back, and the home captain decides to shout “what the f* are you doing” and boot the ball. He’s already been warned in the first half for chirping in my ear so he’s sin binned.

Five minutes later another Home player feels he is fouled and calls me a “f***ing c**t”, he thinks he’s been quiet enough but he hasn’t so he’s off. Immediately after a home player says “f*** you” twice and he goes.

So home team now have 8 players, and the man in the bin is only going to be back with 5 minutes to go.

Game ends, handshakes from home side but pretty muted understandably.

As I’m walking over to my changing room I have to pass the fans and as I approach I get the “****ing disgrace” etc etc

Not really obsessing over the observers score, was just happy to get out of there tbh
What did the Observer say after the game? Did they agree with your approach?

What did the Observer say after the game? Did they agree with your approach?
They didn’t indicate any issues with my approach, they said they thought I did miss the handball that instigated the kicking off.

Most of his feedback was procedural I.e. substitutes leaving/joining at the same time at the middle of the pitch and being too close to my CARs (which is feel was appropriate and I’ve had the reverse feedback before so maybe I need to find the balance)

It always seems to be cup semis where everything has more of an edge (for obvious reasons). I ran the line in one as a late stand in, and there were no yellows going into the 85th minute. There were 7 by the end. They just seem to go that way sometimes.
Yeah I ran the line midweek on one and the middle got a similar treatment

Sounds like you have KMIs that you dealt with.

It’s very easy to say things with hindsight. When observed I am always overly insistent with subs etc. I know it sucks but take your time - stop the clock. Especially as you didn’t have NARs.

You also cannot see everything - handballs are easy to give IF you have the angle. If not you simply cannot guess.

It’s very easy to say things with hindsight. When observed I am always overly insistent with subs etc. I know it sucks but take your time - stop the clock. Especially as you didn’t have NARs.

You also cannot see everything - handballs are easy to give IF you have the angle. If not you simply cannot guess.
Yeah agree on the subs thing, I felt a bit frustrated because simply walking out a wall and jogging into position before blowing was getting moaning about keeping the game moving. I think I was overthinking not getting the players wound up with what they would see as trivial. In the end it made no difference as you’ll have read.

Yeah for the handball I could’ve been closer but then I’d have been ten yards further from the penalty box where a swarm of players and the ball is so it’s one of those.

Yeah agree on the subs thing, I felt a bit frustrated because simply walking out a wall and jogging into position before blowing was getting moaning about keeping the game moving. I think I was overthinking not getting the players wound up with what they would see as trivial. In the end it made no difference as you’ll have read.

Yeah for the handball I could’ve been closer but then I’d have been ten yards further from the penalty box where a swarm of players and the ball is so it’s one of those.
That’s low level dissent. They don’t really care about the time it takes, but they feel the chink in your armour. Mid-level players with mouths faster than their feet!

You said it - you need to keep control, do all the ceremonies clearly, predictably, no surprises.

I think you can in certain situations. You can tell by player reaction. BUT it has to be the right situation!

Yes if the supposed offender stops or looks straight at you, it was probably handball. Only guess if you are 95% sure though. Don't guess on a 50/50.

Back