A&H

Cup Quarter Final Match

SteveAustinRef

Level 7 Referee
I had a big Div 2 cup quarter final match today, with NAR well 1 anyway the other was pulled off for another game.

Anyway Home side second in the league and away side top of the league, having already played once in the league finishing 3-4 to the away side, so I was expecting a good tough game.

Tackles flying in and its getting very heated so in the 18 min a tackle goes in where the player wins the ball and takes the player out, its a free kick all day long, so I hit the whistle and yellow for the tackle, which works a treat as then it was a much easier match to referee.

Then in the second half an incident happens which to looks like handbags, I am happy to get on with the game but my assistant is flagging me over, so I have a chat and he says it was a clear push by the away team player, which cause the whole thing and he felt it was a yellow card. I agree and thank him for his comments and call the player over and caution for the push.

An away team spectator gets on his high horse and starts offering some choice words, I wasn't in the mood for or accepting his foul mouth so I asked him to leave the area of the pitch so we could continue, he at first refused, but I said well I will pick the ball up and we will call it a day then and I will report you for getting the match abandoned. he promptly offered me more choice words and left, with his son in his arms.

The game ends and then my assistant says he wants to report the away team for the abuse he had on the side line. My response was what abuse? I know nothing of this. He then tells me that the player who was came off injured, asked him if he was gay, and asked if he could stick the flag up his a***, and if he was going back to school on Monday and if he had done his homework.

My first reply was why didn't you get me over, I could of dealt with him, to which his reply was well what could you of done?

I know I could of gone over and got his name and got him to leave the area of the pitch, but could I of showed him the red card as he was no longer a player?

Looks like a busy day of report writing now.

The Referee Store
Simple answer yes you could have. Any player sub or subtiuted player can be shown the RC

Yes thanks. I thought I could off and I said to my NAR I would have but it was only in the drive home I was thinking would I have been right to show the card if it had been bought to my attention during play.

Not just me who had a busy day yesterday. Yes that player was begging for a red card as refdave states. Misconduct report would work from the NAR, but will raise questions as to why the NAR didn't alert you at the time I suspect.

Did you speak to the spectator yourself or ask a team official to remove the "gentleman"?

Its his first season on adult football so I guess an easy mistake to make, but its annoying as part of my instructions were you have your own level if tolerance, if you feel its above that then get me over and I will deal with it.

I spoke to the spectator ("gentleman") myself, well for all I know he could be a suspended player of the away team, or an injured player. anyway I spoke with him and he went if he hadn't of then I would of spoke with the home club asking them to get him to move, before moving on to anything else. It worked, he went so Im happy, if the home team secretary had to come over to ask him to move could of cause further friction.

Dont get involved with spectators, alert the team official that the individual has to leave and that the game will not continue until he has left the vicinity. It's one of those " things could go very wrong" situations. As it happened, it seems to have worked out well as he left although he did also earn a misconduct report for his team through his reaction?

Fair enough about the NAR. Lesson for him, listen to the refs prematch speech next time!

Last edited:
I sent off 3 today , one for a Kung fu style hi foot challenge into opponents chest, one for deliberate handball on the line and the 3rd for calling me "bald and gay" my response was if I was gay I wouldn't fancy you and sent him off. Very eventful game

Bald and gay? Why did he call you that?

Edit: Just reread my above post about the spectator suggestion. It was not meant to sound that arsey or sanctimonious mate.

Last edited:
Back