A&H

Cup final advice

BES

Been given my first cup final and buzzing.

But now realise I've never had the benefit of assistants who are not CAR.

What instructions do I give? Do I now take different positions on the pitch? I assume they control subs?

Any other advice would be great. Cheers

The Referee Store
So a search of the forum for assistant briefing advice, been a lot of discussion on it lately.

Great bit of advice I was given by a senior colleague about preparing for middle in a cup final:

Make sure to phone your team of officials 2 days before the game. Arrange travel and when you want them at the ground. Shirt and tie, boots polished, confirm all the things that make a good first impression.

Secondly, phone the fixture secretaries of both teams playing. Introduce yourself if they don't know you, Congratulate them on getting to the final then friendly reminder about if they need to bring a set number of match balls to the game and that your team will be hot on checking player equipment; can they "do you a favour" and remind their players that tape needs to same colour as sock underneath it, under shorts same colour as shorts, sleeves on under tops need to be the same colour as main colour of team shirt - after all this is a show peice game of the season! Any questions, good luck, I'll see you at the match.

That second bit of advice is genius and works a charm.

AS mentioned there is a great thread on here I took loads of advice from. @Brian Hamilton posted some extremely good advice on prematch instructions, which I tried to condense down to an email to the assistants on my county cup final rather unsuccessfully!

I would say these assistants you have will have refereeing experience so will know what to expect. Basically its like having a CAR, but one you can totally trust! What I found most useful was actually certain points during the game I could take wider positions etc when the ball was down the assistants wing knowing any fouls etc they would spot them and could competently give them.

My final point would be obviously you will treat them upmost respect, but never forget as the guy in the middle you are the one that the decisions fall to. So try and be that leader out there. That doesnt mean bossing them around, but be the proactive one delegating duties etc and it not only takes the pressure off you some what it does show you are the man in charge.

Back