A&H

Cup Final - 1st Assistant

Richthekeeper

I got an email through last night to say I've been appointed as 1st assistant for a cup final on 24th May. I'm pleased with this as it's my first season.

Having only run the line on one previous occasion though, does anyone have any advice?

The Referee Store
As my old friend, Corporal Jones used to say.....Don't panic! :)

I'm getting a bit blase (how do you do the accent on a regular keybord?) now

3rd final tonight, a.r. in u19's game at haywards heath f.c., 4th final, as ref, on thursday afternoon in a schools cup final. first full season for me, too

worry about em all, survive em all, beat myself up about the things i got wrong, hope nobody noticed, move on

if your ref doesn't say more than, 'not going to insult you by telling you how to do your job' or 'normal stuff today, gents, please' perhaps let him know that it's only your second game as a.r. and that you'd really appreciate any pre-match / half time / post match advice that he can give you to help you to help him.

then do that thing that antonio banderas did as puss in boots in Shrek. he/she won't be able to resist

...and enjoy

Clean your boots!!!!! Have a read of the magic book the night before the game just to refresh your mind as to your role on the day.

Listen carefully to the referees instructions. Any questions make sure to ask.

Enjoy yourself

I got an email through last night to say I've been appointed as 1st assistant for a cup final on 24th May. I'm pleased with this as it's my first season.

Having only run the line on one previous occasion though, does anyone have any advice?
Clean your boots, read Law 6 in the LotG (especially note the signals with the flag), put in your ear plugs but only after listening to the referee's pre-match instructions and asking lots of questions. Enjoy it.

put in your ear plugs.
I wish you'd told me this before my first cup final on the line, I had a woman behind me for the whole (70 mins + 20 mins ET+pens) every 5 seconds on the dot she said either "Come on (insert team name)" or "Do you want this?"
safe to say I didn't hear much the next day, even the other could hear her on the opposite side of the pitch and to top it all off she had a really high pitched voice to make it even better :mad::mad:

Clean your boots, read Law 6 in the LotG (especially note the signals with the flag), put in your ear plugs but only after listening to the referee's pre-match instructions and asking lots of questions. Enjoy it.

Hey that was what I just said! I don't know.... :D

i filled in as 2nd Assistant at the last minute yesterday. there were no supporters on my side of the pitch so it was quite boring and quiet if i'm honest. my positioning was ok and i felt i got all of my decisions right apart from one very marginal call on a player possibly coming back from offside (i wasn't sure so didn't flag) which didn't come to anything.

i really don't enjoy running the line, i felt much less in control and more of a target for the ire of players who didn't agree with my decisions. i'll stick to the middle in future!

When I did the line for a cup semi final this season I loved it, plus I had the 'supporters' on my side trying to get in my ear, I found it funny.

Back