A&H

Crystal Palace V Man U

• Thread starter Deleted member 2447
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2447

This is turning out to be not one of the team in black's best performances.
Two, albeit difficult, handling offences missed, one which made an offside goal (Ibrahimovic) and one which would have delivered a penalty (Ledley) ...
One offside missed for a goal (Pogba) and one goal disallowed for an offside which clearly wasn't (Mata) ...
Finally, Rojo (again) surviving another two footed lunge endangering Zaha.
Methinks Mr Paulson may find himself rested ....
Other views?

The Referee Store
Agreed. It was one of those days for pawson. Being there I did feel for him as it all seemed to unravel .. (and we've all had those games when nothing seems to go right). He wasn't really helped by his assistants of course.

On the rojo challenge he was clearly asking the assistant for help... and seeing as it was in front of the assistant he really should have advised that it was a red. You would have thought it would be in their minds seeing as what happened with rojo at the weekend. At that level the officials really should be picking that up as a red card.... surely?!

You could tell the ledley handball wss a pen by the reaction of the utd players... hard to spot. But 6 or 7 adament players would suggest its true? Or you would have thought at least

The mata offside clearly the assistants fault. The ibra handball always hard to spot in a crowded penalty area but the assistant should have picked up the offside.

Not sure any of the officials will be overally happy with their performance and as you say expect pawson to be restrd next weekend.

Believe it or not you can sometimes be too close to an incident to really see what went on, that's not to excuse Rojo. His problem will come soon enough, he will no doubt get a soft sending off soon.

Don't forget the officials get one look at the incidents from the angle they have. It's a little unfair to criticise fellow officials with the hindsight of a dozen replays from each of the 70 odd cameras at the ground. I am sure Mr Pawson will reflect on his performance anyway- we are our own worst critics most of the time.

Any contact with the man and it would have been red. There wasn't that I could see so yellow is correct in this case.

There was some advice a while back on the 2 footed challenge that ran something like:

- No contact with man or ball: Caution and direct free kick.
- No contact with man but with ball: Caution and dfk.
- Contact with man and not the ball: Sending off and dfk.
- Contact with man and ball: Sending off and dfk.

I thought everyone was being slightly harsh on the team. First, all you hear is criticism on the referee himself even though they aren't all his decisions.
For the Rojo one, you can see him presumably being told there was no contact which leads him to the yellow card. The Ibrahimovic handball looked extremely difficult to see and the resulting 'offside', although it looks it from the normal tv angle, doesn't actually have an angle looking straight across so how can you say it is definitely offside. I have to say he probably should have seen the second handball decision, it looked pretty clear but to say the Mata offside is 'clear' is being hard on the assistant, it was a fast-paced play and at first glance at full speed I said offside, also there are at least 3 players between him and Mata so is very difficult.
I may be wrong with some of this but it is just my opinion they are all tough decisions (apart from the second handball) so maybe everyone's being a bit harsh.

I thought everyone was being slightly harsh on the team. First, all you hear is criticism on the referee himself even though they aren't all his decisions.
For the Rojo one, you can see him presumably being told there was no contact which leads him to the yellow card. The Ibrahimovic handball looked extremely difficult to see and the resulting 'offside', although it looks it from the normal tv angle, doesn't actually have an angle looking straight across so how can you say it is definitely offside. I have to say he probably should have seen the second handball decision, it looked pretty clear but to say the Mata offside is 'clear' is being hard on the assistant, it was a fast-paced play and at first glance at full speed I said offside, also there are at least 3 players between him and Mata so is very difficult.
I may be wrong with some of this but it is just my opinion they are all tough decisions (apart from the second handball) so maybe everyone's being a bit harsh.

Agree, they are difficult , and a lot more difficult than Mr Shearer made out reviewing them from multiple angles in the comfort of a TV studio - but at this level they will have been expected to get them all correct.

Only one where you could say no official had a clear sight was the Ibramovich handball.

Rooney thought this was red https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrgFYnaw9d0 Giggs didn't even get a yellow for his off the ground scissor tackle from behind on Aguero later in the game. The red card was upheld (though a similar one by Kompany v Arsenal was withdrawn on appeal).

A few days later this by Johnson on Lescott went unpunished.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnm7r9_terrible-tackle_sport
Mike Riley said it should have been red. I know no instruction that says a two-footed jump tackle is not always red. At the time it was said that Riley would issue instructions to that effect. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2092434/Two-footed-challenges-red-cards.html

giggs-scissor-tackle-on-aguero-from-behind.gif

Mr P is slowly becoming only the 2nd best ref on N******* D****.......Ive never made a mistake on any of my Prem games!!! :) Honest!!!

Rooney thought this was red https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrgFYnaw9d0 Giggs didn't even get a yellow for his off the ground scissor tackle from behind on Aguero later in the game. The red card was upheld (though a similar one by Kompany v Arsenal was withdrawn on appeal).

A few days later this by Johnson on Lescott went unpunished.
Mike Riley said it should have been red. I know no instruction that says a two-footed jump tackle is not always red. At the time it was said that Riley would issue instructions to that effect. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2092434/Two-footed-challenges-red-cards.html

giggs-scissor-tackle-on-aguero-from-behind.gif

I doubt Rooney actually thinks that was a red. He's just trying to get an opponent sent off like every team (including the saints at Etihad) do every match. Granted Rooney is a massive p***k and harrasses the ref more than most (England players are allowed to do things others aren't).

That Lescott tackle is even worse than Bravo's tackle on Rooney. At least we got the red card and penalty that day..... oh wait.....

Back