A&H

Cry v Bur

Big Cat

RefChat Addict
Level 4 Referee
What's this all about (on 50s)? Just seen Mitrovic retrospectively banned for a near identical elbow

The Referee Store
Well, looking at that video, I think the incidents are totally different. Mitro's was very clearly arm as a weapon, vicious elbow, easy RC.
In this clip, the attacker's arm is being held by the defender, he is trying to get out of the lock, the attacker's forearm catches the defender on the nose. I count 1, 2 even 3 potential offences by the defender - not that that prevents the attacker from committing an offence - and I wish we could see the reverse angle in real time - but I'm not convinced there is anything more than a careless use of the arm here. And I think the DFK should be against the defender for the foul (s) on 41-42".

(But, if the ref sees arm-as-a-tool then OK, YC. I'm still giving the DFK the other way!)

Tussle, followed by glance at opponent, followed by retaliatory elbow
Excessive Force... SFP all day
Even my missus was perplexed that the lad stayed on field (and she's a better referee that me)

100% a red card for me. Ayew glances at Brownhill before moving his body across and connecting with the elbow.

When Dermot Gallagher thinks the wrong decision was made, you know it probably was!

I think it should have been a red card and was surprised it wasn't considering how long Graham Scott looked at it for.

Another thing I'd say is this seems to fall into the category where an on-field review should have taken place, now they've started using the monitors for red cards. A bit like Chelsea V Man Utd and Chelsea V Spurs. There's a very strong case for a red card. If the referee looks at it and decides to go yellow then that's their call but I think all three would most likely have been sent off. It feels like they're not learning.

When Dermot Gallagher thinks the wrong decision was made, you know it probably was!

I think it should have been a red card and was surprised it wasn't considering how long Graham Scott looked at it for.

Another thing I'd say is this seems to fall into the category where an on-field review should have taken place, now they've started using the monitors for red cards. A bit like Chelsea V Man Utd and Chelsea V Spurs. There's a very strong case for a red card. If the referee looks at it and decides to go yellow then that's their call but I think all three would most likely have been sent off. It feels like they're not learning.
Monitor just means Hooper gets it right/wrong, instead of Scott | adding pantomime for good measure
Take the whole VAR shebang out the picture and I'm betting Hooper gets it right first time (more often than at present)

He 100% knew what he was doing there and it was a clear case of SFP, or arguably VC as it isn't part of the challenge for the ball, but either way he should have been off. I just cannot fathom how VAR can look at that and say it isn't a red card.

Ayew has history for it, I think he's done it a few times but there was definitely this one playing for Villa against West Ham and he was sent off for this ...

1593532274947.png

It’s the glance beforehand that sold a red for me - Ayew knew what he was doing. I personally couldn’t believe they spent so long looking at it and didn’t change the on-field decision.

It's the clenching of the fist which gives it away for me. That's usually an involuntary action that gives people away. I just don't buy the careless element with that evidence but ... and someone may have to confirm this ... didn't Hooper award a FK to Palace?

Seems like I was watching another video entirely!
I've also experienced the 'minority of one complex'. It was when Matthew Hayden got dismissed against Cardiff in the opening game a few years back. I was aghast that everyone ganged up on me; I was certain it was a poor decision. I was on holiday at the time however, so maybe the Sangria had got to me too! Stick ten refs in a room and one is always likely to disagree with the others. It's all in the game :)

Back