A&H

"Creative Refereeing"

Kes

I'll Decide ...
Saw this term mentioned in a thread on here a few days back and it made me smile. :)

What if anything, does the term mean to you?

Examples you've seen (or done :hmmm:) please? :)

The Referee Store
Not applying strict law, instead opting for common sense as a form for best approach? If that makes sense...
Using your common sense in a situation instead of leading by the letter of the law?

drawing a caricature of the teams in action whilst simultaneously carrying out a perfect game of refereeing

Reactions: Kes
Finding excuses not to apply the LOTG correctly in order to curry favour with the players, improve club marks or simply avoid making the difficult decisions.

Nothing to do with common sense, everything to do with lazy, weak and negligent refereeing.

Reactions: Kes
It's not like you to disagree with one of my statements @Padfoot

Personally, I don't think you can be creative when you referee. You'd leave yourself open for all kinds of trouble.

For me, the best examples of creative refereeing are those where the referee is so in tune with the game and the players that they flex their usual decision making slightly to take the context into account. a few examples might be ..

Not insisting on a 'ceremonial' free kick near the Penalty Area where the attacking team might gain an advantage by taking it quickly

Seeing a cautionable tackle but realising that the potential advantage to the attacking team is sizable enough to continue play and return for the caution at the next break in play

Seeing a borderline 50/50 DOGSO decision and interpreting it in different ways (6-0 down, 5 mins to go, Yellow: 0-0, 30 mins to go, Red)

And the obvious clamping down on small fouls (that might otherwise be considered trivial) if the match is starting to boil over

None of these come without an element of risk. But the reward for the game if you get it right can also be significant

I don't know in what context it was mentioned but as far as I know, it's usually a euphemism for misapplication of the Laws. It also often involves referees making up imaginary offences or applying sanctions that just aren't applicable. Some classic examples I read of recently:

- Issuing a yellow card to a goalkeeper who was talking to someone near the goal for "not paying attention to the game."
- Player given offside for passing to himself. The explanation given by the referee to the irate coach was, "that any touch of the ball that puts the ball outside a radius that is immediately playable without movement by the player in possession is a loss of possession and therefore a play or pass if touched next by the same team."

Creative refereeing to me could be adapting your approach to different players. The way you communicate with each player will vary depending on their personality. There's a model I've studied in work where you answer 100 or so questions and a clever system determines which of 4 personality traits you fall in to. I know it as Flex or Insights but may be known by other names.

The 4 traits are Fiery Red, Sunshine Yellow, Cool Blue and Earth Green. Each will respond better to a certain type of communication. Red for example, your responses need to be efficient, effective and focused compared to a Yellow where you would approach these in a persuasive, democratic manner.

Finding the time during a game to communicate differently to players based on their Insights "colour" is difficult but can be used to great effect! It's up to me to discover their "colour" by assessing how they communicate with me, but after practice and study, understanding where they sit on the Insights scale comes pretty quickly.

David, I'm well aware what an oxymoron is. I just happen to fundamentally disagree with the premise that one cannot be both creative and a referee .. or creative whilst you referee. As is clear from my previous post, I happen to think it's one of the characteristics that set great referees apart from the rest.

I thought it would be clear from my use of 'smileys' that my comment was in jest ... however, apologies for any offence caused

Reactions: DB
Considering the LOTG are quite clear on what is and is not permitted in a game of football, it leaves little room for creativity......unless of course your idea of creativity is to find ways to justify not applying those laws?

There is good refereeing and there is bad refereeing.....creativity doesn't come into it.

Oh Padders, now you're just stirring :) .

Given that a significant number of the Laws, including many of the critical ones, are 'in the opinion of the referee', that provides ample opportunity to show flair and creativity whilst unequivocally sticking within the LOTG.

At a recent Supply League meeting I attended, the number one gripe coming from managers and officials was that many of the officials were too 'robotic' and lacked empathy for the players and the temperature of the game. Obviously it's a fine line .. too 'creative' and you lose respect because you are not correctly applying the Laws and the sanctions therein. But too 'formulaic' and you will lose respect by being out of touch with the reality of the specific game you are officiating. In my opinion :)

Oh Padders, now you're just stirring :) .

Given that a significant number of the Laws, including many of the critical ones, are 'in the opinion of the referee', that provides ample opportunity to show flair and creativity whilst unequivocally sticking within the LOTG.

At a recent Supply League meeting I attended, the number one gripe coming from managers and officials was that many of the officials were too 'robotic' and lacked empathy for the players and the temperature of the game. Obviously it's a fine line .. too 'creative' and you lose respect because you are not correctly applying the Laws and the sanctions therein. But too 'formulaic' and you will lose respect by being out of touch with the reality of the specific game you are officiating. In my opinion :)

You really need to learn 'manager' speak.....

'Robotic', 'lacking in empathy' and 'temperature of the game' are just player/manager speak for 'how dare the referee actually apply the LOTG' normally trotted out after cautions for dissent, reds for S6 etc....

What clubs really want are referees to selectively apply the LOTG accepting the abuse as 'part of the game' and those who don't are labelled as 'card happy', 'robotic' etc etc....

The reality is simple. You are there to apply the LOTG without favour or compromise, not to keep clubs happy.

Back