A&H

Craziest Appeal You’ve Seen

Doing a low level OA game not too long after I'd qualified. Team makes a sub, so I head over to do the equipment check and do the sub. Check the guys kit, no issues (he's wearing a long sleeved shirt) so he steps into the FOP completing the substitution. He then pulls his sleeves up and on his right arm are a couple of those festival bracelets. I quickly say, they need to come off to which he screams at me "F**k you, you fat f**king c**t". Red card is out quicker than you can say 'Jack Robinson' and his sum total of on field participation was about 5 whole seconds!

Second one was doing a county cup game. Two teams from their respective leagues both used to doing well, relatively new sides so playing below their level of ability as they progresses through the ranks.

Game is good, about 70 minutes in, an away player commits a foul, yellow card, but the fouled home player stands up and punches him, to which another one of the away team piles in and hits him.

Both off for VC, the away player is properly foaming at the mouth, threatening to kill the home player in the changing rooms, so he goes first. I tell the home player that he's going too, but in the interest of his safety he's not going to the changing room, he can stand 20 yards away from the pitch on the opposite side to the changing rooms, but if he so much as puts a toe out of place, he can take his chances in the changing rooms.

Get everything calmed down, captains are doing a great job with their players and we get started again. About 5 minutes later, game is going on and the away team player who has been sent off sprints out of the changing room across the field screaming "I'm going to f***ing kill you" to the home team player. Quickly restrained by team mates and the assistant manager sits in the car with him for the remainder of the game as I'm clear he's getting reported and if I see him again I'm abandoning!

I've got a few more, but cant be bothered to type them out at the moment 🤣

The Referee Store
In a supply league game I had a team go ballistic when I gave a goal kick as they were to a man adamant that the shot had gone in the goal. The ball certainly wasn't inside the goal, my assistant had signalled goal kick, and there were no holes in any of the netting, and I made a point of checking it with the captain who agreed there were no holes. But still they argued even though I'd made the point that not even David Blaine could have got the ball to where it ended up if it had indeed crossed between the goal posts. All very bizarre, I can only assume that just one player thought it had gone in any the rest were jumping on the bandwagon.

Back