A&H

Course practices participatetion

Zimmyman

Ok guys and ladies I do my basic course very soon but one thing that is quite worrying me is that they are saying that one will have to play match senarios ! Well I’m
An older ref !! And have not played only managed in many years although I have the fitness needed to do youth football so how will I get on if therrr are anload of 18’year olds racing around ! Then there’s me ? Lol help

The Referee Store
I've just done my course this weekend, i'm not in the best of shape myself so opted to go in goal and save my energy for the reffing, leave the young ones to do the running around!

I've just done my course this weekend, i'm not in the best of shape myself so opted to go in goal and save my energy for the reffing, leave the young ones to do the running around!
Thanks sounds like a good plan how did you find it all !! As expected ?

Thanks sounds like a good plan how did you find it all !! As expected ?

Yeah I enjoyed it, was a good mix of practical and theory they pretty much teach you every answer to the questions on the test so don’t worry too much about that!

Top tip for the final assessment phase of the course, when you play a game and take turns to be the ref:

Volunteer to be the ref first. At the start, everyone will be sensible, motivated and supportive. By the time I got to be ref (last!) everyone else had had their turn and some of the more “immature” members of the course thought it was now OK to prat around. (I like to think that the course instructors left me till last as, being a teacher with years of experience of truculent teenagers, I was able to cope with them. I was, but do yourself a favour, and volunteer to go first.)

Good job Minty and I hung our whistles up... all this running about stuff give me aches thinking about it!

When I did my course it was an even split of older men and young kids/adults. It is not about the standard of playing but about reffing. I also agree volounteer to go first. At the end it turns into a bad behaivour competition.

50 on my course. 3 over the age of 18, although none between 18-30. I'd be amazed if 1/4 of those on the course are still refereeing and it was only 11 months ago. They were only interested in playing football, and the poor refs (who were both young themselves) trying to control them did admirably well but struggled to get them to be quiet in the classroom. The exam questions were a group exercise and my group (All 16 an under) would've had no chance if it was a proper test or if I wasn't writing the answers. The tutors actuslly stopped talking for 10 mins to try and get them to be quiet, whichbdidnt work so the adults on the course used plan b and took it on ourselves to shut them up sharpish as we weren't there to have our time wasted and wanted to learn of the ref tutors.

We all got assigned to a local youth league for our qualifying matches and I couldn't get a game assigned and went off my own back to get over Sunday league games in a different county to qualify! From about October I got texts and emails from the youth league asking me to ref so I'm assuming alot didn't carry on reffing which is a real shame. Some of them would've made excellent refs, some were just little twits lol.

Don't worry about the exam, it can't even be called that. I first did the old level 3 exam at Stockport School in 1998 as a 14 year old and we had to go in a booth and were asked questions individually about the diameter of the ball and such things! It's changed alot has the qualifying, and it's the qualifying that I've experienced more than most, twice lol. It's alot more practical now which is better.

50 on my course. 3 over the age of 18, although none between 18-30. I'd be amazed if 1/4 of those on the course are still refereeing and it was only 11 months ago. They were only interested in playing football, and the poor refs (who were both young themselves) trying to control them did admirably well but struggled to get them to be quiet in the classroom. The exam questions were a group exercise and my group (All 16 an under) would've had no chance if it was a proper test or if I wasn't writing the answers. The tutors actuslly stopped talking for 10 mins to try and get them to be quiet, whichbdidnt work so the adults on the course used plan b and took it on ourselves to shut them up sharpish as we weren't there to have our time wasted and wanted to learn of the ref tutors.

We all got assigned to a local youth league for our qualifying matches and I couldn't get a game assigned and went off my own back to get over Sunday league games in a different county to qualify! From about October I got texts and emails from the youth league asking me to ref so I'm assuming alot didn't carry on reffing which is a real shame. Some of them would've made excellent refs, some were just little twits lol.

Don't worry about the exam, it can't even be called that. I first did the old level 3 exam at Stockport School in 1998 as a 14 year old and we had to go in a booth and were asked questions individually about the diameter of the ball and such things! It's changed alot has the qualifying, and it's the qualifying that I've experienced more than most, twice lol. It's alot more practical now which is better.

Thanks guys ! Yes I’m
Looking forward to it but it’s been a long process does everyone get through unless you are a complete moron !? Main concern is some 17 year old taking me out in a so called scenario lol I only hope they don’t F—k around to much and there are some older ones with me

The 'games' you play on the course are very stop/start. You won't have any complaints from anyone if you want to be in goal. As indicated above, the courses are mobbed by kids doing GCSE PE or Duke of Edinburgh. Only a minority will ever take to the middle. Nonetheless, i found the course enjoyable and it gives you a fair amount of practice doing the basics. We even spent some time exploring how to vary the whistle for different occasions and body language etc. When to stand ur ground, when not to
It was more than just learning the laws

There were some excellent points made to us, ie how to give the impression that you are closer to an incident than you actually are, such as a long blast on the whistle whilst you run closer to the penalty spot when giving a pen. I've always remembered that one. I'd have liked to have been taught a bit more about the AR role but there wasn't the time. Not the actual decision making process or the laws as I'm well versed in that respect, just when to swap hands with the flag etc.

You won't fail the course, nobody has done in the 2 courses I've attended and some people didn't even listen, it's more a case of getting as much out of the experts as u can whilst you're there.

As for playing, I was comfortably the best player so no problem there ;) However, I am 34 so I just strolled around at the back trying to see that ref was doing and what advice he was being given.

10th year tutor here and can echo some of the comments above (but not all).

Running my somethingth course this weekend and next. It's usually fun :)

Thanks Brian and everyone that has made an old man a bit more reassured ! Lol i just want to become a qualified ref so I can put back something to boys football and the game that I’ve loved all my life !!!

Back