A&H

Couple of questions

dbo5ton

Level 4 Referee
Morning all,

just a couple of questions I am not a hundred percent sure of and any advice would be appreciated. Womens game at weekend.

1/red defender slides in and gets the ball. meaty but fair. contact between attacker and defender when balls gone upfield. red screams in agony on floor . no one is claiming for a foul, fair tackle with a knock of knees. Ball is now in red possession at half way but just being passed around.

With a head injury I know we can stop play. Is this the same with what we appear to be a injury of any kind or does the ball need to be kicked out.

2/ Drop ball later on in box. Keeper asks can she pick it up. I say no. Captain (cb) said that she could. I stuck with guns and said no. am I right?

The Referee Store
1) referee can stop play for a serious injury. It doesnt neccessarily have to be a head injury. Otherwise wait until the next stoppage in play to allow for a quick assessment if player requires.

2) Keeper can pick the ball up from a dropped ball.

2. Once the ball touches the ground its in play so anything that can happen in normal play, can happen from then onward, including keeper picking it up (obviously if its outside the PA its deliberate handball).

A couple of exceptions:
- If the ball goes over the goal line or touchline without touching anyone, you drop the ball again.
- If a goal is scored against an opponent without touching at least two players, its a goal kick.
- If an own goal is scored without touching at least two players, its corner kick.

1) referee can stop play for a serious injury. It doesnt neccessarily have to be a head injury. Otherwise wait until the next stoppage in play to allow for a quick assessment if player requires.
I think it's worth emphasising the word "serious" here though. At adult level, I'm stopping play in any situation for a head injury, lack of conciousness, clear broken bone or one of "those" screams of pain - last one of those I remember was a defender clearing the ball and following through into attackers studs, later turned out to be broken bones in her foot.

Anything less at adult football (mens or womens), it's on the players to put the ball out. From your description, I'd say it's probably not quite bad enough for you to get involved and stop a promising attack, but if one team's just sitting on possession, you could use common sense and get involved. But players know it's generally on them to put the ball out, especially when it's the injured player's team who has the ball. By unnecessarily getting involved and taking the decision out of their hands, you're only going to wind one team up if the player hops up and carried on like nothing happened a few seconds later.

It's also worth pointing out that you should relax this considerably as you go down the age groups. It's been a long time since I've been involved at less than U16 level where I pretty much treat them as adults, but if you're refereeing at something like U12's it's much more acceptable to stop for anything that looks like there's any chance of it being an actual injury.

1) You can stop the play if you deem it to be serious. Whether it actually turns out to be serious is irrelevant, its your call. You can always tell whether it's a genuine scream from serious pain, or a scream as a reaction to the challenge or overhype

2) Keeper can pick it up, however I'd be careful with a drop ball in the area especially if they opposition plan on contesting it.

Morning all,

just a couple of questions I am not a hundred percent sure of and any advice would be appreciated. Womens game at weekend.

1/red defender slides in and gets the ball. meaty but fair. contact between attacker and defender when balls gone upfield. red screams in agony on floor . no one is claiming for a foul, fair tackle with a knock of knees. Ball is now in red possession at half way but just being passed around.

With a head injury I know we can stop play. Is this the same with what we appear to be a injury of any kind or does the ball need to be kicked out.

2/ Drop ball later on in box. Keeper asks can she pick it up. I say no. Captain (cb) said that she could. I stuck with guns and said no. am I right?

1: Bit of common sense, it sounds like the player is in a bad way and nothing is happening play wise, so I don't think anyone would have complaints with you stopping the play. If you think it qualifies as a serious injury, don't be afraid to blow. I would rather be safe than sorry.

2: The goalkeeper can indeed pick a ball up from a drop ball, as it is a form of restarting play. If a defender has touched it last say, and the keeper picks it up after the drop ball, then that's absolutely fine, as long as they do so in their own penalty area obviously. Play has restarted so what happened before is irrelevant.

Back