A&H

Couple of gems

SM

The avuncular one
early in my game today, we have a corner. A defender has got his hands on an attacker just inside the area. I shout at him to get his hands off him just as the ball is played in. The attacker peels away and runs past him, defender sticks out a leg, obvious trip in a nothing situation. Attacker goes down.

Whistle. Penalty.

My main 2 complaints received;

1) nobody asked for it (I was looking right at the guy who did it as I had only just told him to get his hands off the attacker!! My whistle was while the ball was in the air.)

2) it's early in the game.

:)

I managed to show some fantastic restraint in not telling one of the home staff to go love himself at half time when he couldn't keep his idiot mouth shut with his snide complaints. Yes yes, thank you.

Mental note; in my last season before I retire I am going to just tell people what I really want them to hear rather than be diplomatic. :devil:

The Referee Store
early in my game today, we have a corner. A defender has got his hands on an attacker just inside the area. I shout at him to get his hands off him just as the ball is played in. The attacker peels away and runs past him, defender sticks out a leg, obvious trip in a nothing situation. Attacker goes down.

Whistle. Penalty.

1) nobody asked for it (I was looking right at the guy who did it as I had only just told him to get his hands off the attacker!! My whistle was while the ball was in the air.)

I managed to show some fantastic restraint in not telling one of the home staff to go love himself at half time when he couldn't keep his idiot mouth shut with his snide complaints. Yes yes, thank you.

Mental note; in my last season before I retire I am going to just tell people what I really want them to hear rather than be diplomatic. :devil:

Surely you changed your mind after 2 such well constructed and correct-in-law arguments? No? :rolleyes:

I had a similar complaint as I sent off a player today - 15 minutes in he goes in for a 50/50 studs up, very hard right onto the thigh of his opponent.

Immediate 'he's off' blow of whistle, call player over and wave treatment on at same time.

Speak to the player who committed the challenge, he says 'don't give me a yellow this early ref, it's my first challenge'.

'And an incredibly poor one it was too pal. That's serious foul play I'm afraid, I have to send you off'

His manager wasn't pleased. 'What do you mean you've sent him off?'

In fairness to the player concerned he did come over, shake my hand and admit it was a definite red.

Assessor was pleased too. 'I know a lot of refs who would have bottled that, well done - correct call'.

Don't know it that says more about me or my colleagues :eek::confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: SM
It says more about your colleagues Regalref. Spot on by the sounds of it: see the offence, judge the severity, decide it's excessive force, red card. The assessor is right, plenty of referees wouldn't have the 'intestinal fortitude' shall we say to do it, especially with the player cleverly trying to turn it into a yellow with that remark.

Well done!

Whistle. Penalty.

How come you retiring

Eventually I will be old and unable to run with any pace mate! Happens to us all. Eventually. Not now.

I have a good few years left yet (about a decade by my reckoning if I am lucky with injuries).
How old are you @SM?

I had a OFFINABUS today, and a fair bit of debate about it too from the player going off?

I turned to the captain and went "He's called me ....., would you agree that's offensive?"
Once he replied yes I replied with "So would you agree he's committed the offence of using offensive language."
Again, he agreed. Of course he still disagreed with me sending him off...

Could. Just. Read. My. Profile. I guess

But 22 :)
You are having a laugh, i am 61 this year and still plying my trade,secret of my success without too much running around in a word... positioning, incurs minimalistic running. This all goes out the window when the centre forward does a good impression of Ussain Bolt, this is the time that i hope to be running downhill with the wind behind me.

Let us know when that'll be. I'd be fascinated to be on the sidelines, watching a game where the ref gives as good as he gets.

Back